Copying excel format from cell to cell

  1. #1
    Loopy Darren
    Guest

    Copying excel format from cell to cell

    Excel 2000

    I have been formatting an excel table where a line is inserted and formulas
    copied to cells in the newly inserted line.

    However, the cells in the new line are showing zero's, while the cells from
    which the formulas are copied do not show any zeros/values, unless data has
    been entered.

    As a result, I have a number of lines in the table where some of the lines
    do not show any zero's/values, and one line that does show zero's/values.

    I have tried a number of formatting options to try to have the newly
    inserted line showing the same no zero's/values, but without sucess.

    If I right-click on one of the original cells in the line above, select
    'format cells' the Number format is 'number' and the Sample bar shows as
    blank.

    If I right-click on one of the cells in the new line, select 'format cells'
    the format for Number is the same, but, the Sample bar shows a zero value
    with one decimal point.

    What I am attempting to do is show the cell as blank unless data is entered
    in other cells, and then the formula result will show.

  2. #2
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: Copying excel format from cell to cell

    Hi, Darren!

    Picking up from the last paragraph in your posting, have you tried
    conditional formulae?

    Example =if(a1>0,A1*5," ")

    So, if A1 is greater than 0, let the formula produce a1 multiplied by 5, if
    it isn't (i.e. if A1 is zero or a negative number), enter a space.

    As you might imagine, there are lots of variations on this - you could
    replace the space by a 0, then do Tools Options View and take the tick out of
    "Zero Values" - this would display a blank cell, too, but it would be a
    suppressed zero, as against a space.

    =if(a1>0,A1*5,0)

    The syntax is: =IF(condition,what to do if the condition's true,what to do
    if the condition's false)

    Hope this helps

    Pete :o)

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Copying excel format from cell to cell

    A custom format of

    0_);(0);

    would show nothing when the formula evaluated to 0

    Also, if the cells you copied from referenced cells with an empty string -
    "" - then those cells would show nothing. However, once you pasted the
    formulas into a new cell, and if the pasted formulas referenced cells that
    were truly blank, they'd show zeros

    Showing zeros can be a good thing, IMHO, if they don't mess up a printed
    report, because then you know what's in the cell. Less ambiguity.