Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

  1. #1
    xgirl
    Guest

    Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    When I double click on the small black square to auto fill a formula it stops
    short. It should go to the last cell with data in the preceding column but
    it doesn't. If I double click again it still stops short.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    Any blank cells in the adjacent column?

    The fill-down will stop at a blank cell.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    xgirl
    Guest

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    No, no blank cells.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    I cannot replicate this without there being a blank cell in the column.

    Can't think of another reason for this behaviour.

    Stick around...someone else with a better memory may have a suggestion.

    Gord

  5. #5
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    Perhaps hidden rows that contain blank cells in the
    adjacent column?

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    Probably a good point Jason.

    We'll see when xgirl responds.

    Gord

  7. #7
    USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    Hello,

    I tired to understand your prob and here is what i feel you need to check.
    I replicated similar scenario where in i typed sum 18 numbers in two adjacent columns(A & B),also i typed in some garbage values in the last two cells of third preceding column (C)(where in i am going to use fill handle) and changed the font color of garbage values to white which seem to me as invisible but fill handle knows that there are values in this cell.hence when i tried to double click on fill handle to copy the formula across entire C column it did not go to the last but finished till C16 and stopped short and when i double click again it finished copying in those two cells also.

    So just check if similar kind of scenario is occurring or not and let me no.....

    hope it helps you in some way....

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: Fill-handle doesn't fill all the way down

    This is a 8 yr old thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]