Problems with date calculations (bank hols etc)

  1. #1
    Andy100
    Guest

    Problems with date calculations (bank hols etc)

    I have a database of dates of claims received.

    Column A has the customers name, Column B is the date claim was received.

    Problem is that in column C i want to enter the 60th day (i.e. Whatever is
    in column B + 60days - however this MUST NOT include Saturdays or Sundays in
    the calculation and should also NOT include bank holidays). I have a
    separate sheet of all the bank holidays listed. I haven't a clue how to
    solve this one !. Please help. So for e.g Mr Smith puts his claim in on 16th
    March 2005, i want column C to add 60 WORKING days onto this, but miss out
    the bank holidays (i.e. 25/4, 28/4, 2/5 and 30/5), the answer i get should
    be 13/6/05. Bearing in mind that the date of receipt of the claim actually
    counts as 1 day also.

    Please help !

    Andy

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Problems with date calculations (bank hols etc)

    Andy

    you need to use the WORKDAY function from the Analysis Toolpack.

    You'll probably need to add 1 to the calculation to exclude the current date
    too

    From the Help:

    WORKDAY

    Returns a number that represents a date that is the indicated number of
    working days before or after a date (the starting date). Working days
    exclude weekends and any dates identified as holidays. Use WORKDAY to
    exclude weekends or holidays when you calculate invoice due dates, expected
    delivery times, or the number of days of work performed.

    If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
    load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    How?

    On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.

    In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then
    click OK.

    If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.

    Syntax

    WORKDAY(start_date,days,holidays)

    Important Dates should be entered by using the DATE function, or as results
    of other formulas or functions. For example, use DATE(2008,5,23) for the
    23rd day of May, 2008. Problems can occur if dates are entered as text.

    Start_date is a date that represents the start date.

    Days is the number of nonweekend and nonholiday days before or after
    start_date. A positive value for days yields a future date; a negative value
    yields a past date.

    Holidays is an optional list of one or more dates to exclude from the
    working calendar, such as state and federal holidays and floating holidays.
    The list can be either a range of cells that contain the dates or an array
    constant of the serial numbers that represent the dates.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Andy100
    Guest

    Re: Problems with date calculations (bank hols etc)

    ah ha ! - i'll give that a go !

    Cheers
    Andy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andy100
    Guest

    Re: Problems with date calculations (bank hols etc)

    Is there another way, because in order to click "Analysis Toolpack" it asks
    me for the original CD-ROM, which work say they haven't got, or more likely
    they don't know where it's kept !

    Cheers
    Andrew