Excel should have the same Insert Symbol feature as Word.

  1. #1
    KKilpatrick
    Guest

    Excel should have the same Insert Symbol feature as Word.

    There is currently no easy way to insert a symbol such as a degree sign in
    Excel. It would be much easier to have a function like Insert Symbol from
    Word to do this as one is typing rather than cut & paste from Word or using
    the Character Map from Windows (outside of Excel).

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,850
    Which version of Excel are you using? I'm using Excell 2002, and it does have the "insert symbol" dialog (Insert menu > Symbol...).

  3. #3

    Re: Excel should have the same Insert Symbol feature as Word.

    MS added it in xl2002.

    But Chip Pearson has a couple of versions (depending on what you're running) at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
    (look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version)

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel should have the same Insert Symbol feature as Word.

    The Character Map can be brought up in Excel.

    Not as nice as Chip's add-in or the Insert>Symbol with 2002 and beyond.

    Sub CharMap()
    Dim taskID As Variant
    On Error Resume Next
    taskID = Shell("start charmap.exe")
    If Err <> 0 Then _
    MsgBox "CHARMAP.EXE is not installed on your machine."
    End Sub

    Assign to a button or shortcut key.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5

    Re: Excel should have the same Insert Symbol feature as Word.

    And if you want the same effect, but without a macro:

    flying window key - r (to show the windows start button|run dialog)
    type
    charmap
    and hit enter.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195

    Degree

    It's not a nice method, but as you type, you can hold the Alt key and then (using only the numeric keypad on the right) type 167 and then release the Alt key - asssuming your base setup is the same you should get a º sign. This works only for those symbols for which you know the ascii value.
    As I said, it's not nice but if all you want is a degree sign it is useable.