Maximum number of rows?

  1. #1
    Allan Bach
    Guest

    Maximum number of rows?

    Hi

    In Excel the maximum number of rows i can get is 65536. Is it possible to
    extend this so i can get about 67000 rows?

    Kind regards

    Allan Bach

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of rows?

    Hi

    "Allan Bach" <[email protected](DONOTSPAM)> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > In Excel the maximum number of rows i can get is 65536. Is it possible to
    > extend this so i can get about 67000 rows?

    Not on same sheet!

    Your options:
    Delete some abundant rows, when you have them;
    Distribute your data to several worksheets;
    Redesign your worksheet, so that the number of needed rows decreases (in
    case it's possible to collect the info from several rows to one single row);
    Switch to Access or to any other database application;
    Swithc to QuattroPro.

    --
    When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee
    Arvi Laanemets

  3. #3
    Allan Bach
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of rows?

    Is it possible to have more than 65000 entries in Access?

    kr.

    Allan

  4. #4
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of rows?

    Allan Bach shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

    > Is it possible to have more than 65000 entries in Access?

    It's possible to have (approx.) 2,1 milliard records in Access, if I
    remember correctly.

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How to Report Bugs Effectively
    Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    answer.
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    o-answers.html

  5. #5
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of rows?

    Hi

    Microsoft Access (2000) database table specifications
    Attribute Maximum
    Number of characters in a table name 64
    Number of characters in a field name 64
    Number of fields in a table 255
    Number of open tables 2048. The actual number may be less because of tables
    open internally by Microsoft Access.
    Table size 1 gigabyte
    Number of characters in a Text field 255
    Number of characters in a Memo field 65,535 when entering data through the
    user interface;
    1 gigabyte when entering data programmatically.
    Size of an OLE Object field 1 gigabyte
    Number of indexes in a table 32
    Number of fields in an index 10
    Number of characters in a validation message 255
    Number of characters in a validation rule 2,048
    Number of characters in a table or field description 255
    Number of characters in a record (excluding Memo and OLE Object fields)
    2,000
    Number of characters in a field property setting 255

    As you see, no direct limitations for number of rows - it equals 1
    Gb/RowSize, where RowSize depends on your table design. (Memo fields and
    (when designed properly) OLE object fields contain only links.)

  6. #6
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of rows?

    Arvi Laanemets shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

    > Hi
    >
    > Microsoft Access (2000) database table specifications

    *snip* whole lotta numbers

    > As you see, no direct limitations for number of rows - it equals 1
    > Gb/RowSize, where RowSize depends on your table design. (Memo fields
    > and (when designed properly) OLE object fields contain only links.)

    You are right, I was wrong. I was probably confusing with FoxPro, or
    with the range of longint (which is used for record numbers, so my
    guesstimate is not totally out of the blue)