Complicated Formula

  1. #1
    Stephen
    Guest

    Complicated Formula

    Hi. I'm trying to do a very complicated formula.
    I have a list of ten numbers in a row and I have one cell which is telling
    me the max of those ten numbers.
    This new cell I want to be able to find the number that was returned from
    the above cell and then create a formula from that point. I want the formula
    to keep looking back (going down the excel spreadsheet) looking for the
    lowest number in a row from that number, and divide the current number by
    that number.

    Example:

    From say a1:a10 I have :
    2, 6, 4, 8, 4, 9, 3, 2, 1, 4

    Cell one returns - 9
    Cell two would look what came before the 9 and find the lowest number in a
    row and divide cell one's number by this lower number. So it would find 1 is
    the lowest number in a row and divide 9/1, bringing you to the answer of 9.
    Thanks for you help!
    --
    Thanks!

    Stephen

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Hi

    Try:
    =MAX(A1:A10)/MIN(A1:A10)

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: Complicated Formula

    Let me see if I understand what you want.

    First, you say you have the data in cells A1-A10 and that data is in
    columnar form, not a row is this correct?

    Based on my read of this, I can interpret your question two different ways.

    1) You want to divide the Maximum in the series by the Minimum in the series.
    2) You want to divide the Maximum in the series, by the minimum of any data
    listed after your maximum value.

    Please advise.

    Regards,
    Barb Reinhardt

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Hi Stephen

    cell 1
    =MAX(A1:A10)

    cell 2
    =MAX(A1:A10)/MIN(OFFSET(A1:A10,0,0,MATCH(MAX(A1:A10),A1:A10,0)))
    or
    =A12/MIN(OFFSET(A1:A10,0,0,MATCH(A12,A1:A10,0)))
    where A12 holds the formula of "cell 1" above

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Stephen,

    =MAX(A1:A10)/MIN(OFFSET(A1,MATCH(MAX(A1:A10),A1:A10,FALSE)-1,0,11-MATCH(MAX(
    A1:A10),A1:A10,FALSE)))

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Stephen
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Hi. I'm using the first formula you wrote under "cell two". It's working but
    its grabbing the number above the column, not the numbers below. Do you know
    how I could fix this?

    Example :

    1,3,5,2,4,

    It's taking the 5 then dividing by the 1, not dividing by the 2 (on the
    other side).
    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Stephen
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Hi.
    I used your below formula and it ends up dividing by the lowest # in the
    set. Not the lowest # in a row (below the highest) in the set.

  8. #8
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Stephen,

    I used my formula, and it worked, at least in the way that I thought you
    wanted, dividing the max by the lowest number below - in a higher row
    number, below the mxaimum on the screen, as your example showed. The only
    thing that I can think of is that we are at cross-terms on our usage of
    lower, and that you mixed up your example. I can send you a working
    example, that does it both ways, if you would like. To contact me privately
    take out the spaces and change the dot to .

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Hi!

    This works provided there will be no empty cells within the range:

    =MAX(A1:A10)/MIN(OFFSET(A1,MATCH(MAX(A1:A10),A1:A10,0),,COUNT(A1:A10)-MATCH(MAX(A1:A10),A1:A10,0)))

    Biff

  10. #10
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Here's another way...

    B1:

    =MAX(A1:A10)

    C1:

    =B1/MIN(INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0)+1):A10)

    This will allow empty cells within the range. Note, the formula will
    return a #DIV/0! error if zero is the lowest number in the relevant
    range or no numbers exist within that range. The formula can be
    modified to deal with these situations, if needed.

    Hope this helps!

  11. #11
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    Hi!

    You know, I was thinking after I posted that none of the replies so far
    (including mine) has accounted for the fact that the max value may be the
    last value in the range and would cause a return of #DIV/0!.

    And then there's the possibility of dupe max's ......Which MIN do you want
    after which dupe MAX .....

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    =B1/MIN(INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0)+1):A10)

    I like that one!

  13. #13
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula

    In article <#GY7#[email protected]>,
    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You know, I was thinking after I posted that none of the replies so far
    > (including mine) has accounted for the fact that the max value may be the
    > last value in the range and would cause a return of #DIV/0!.

    It seems that in all cases, including mine, an error would be returned.
    But I think that may be okay, since it would alert the user of that fact.

    > And then there's the possibility of dupe max's ......Which MIN do you want
    > after which dupe MAX .....

    Good question. I assumed, like everyone else, the minimum after the
    first duplicate.