linking to multiple workbooks

  1. #1
    cwwolfdog
    Guest

    linking to multiple workbooks

    I have 50 or so workbooks each with 1 sheet in them. I am trying to create
    one master workbook that will essentially look the same as the individual
    sheets in the different workbooks. Every sheet has the exact same cells and
    formulas on them. I want to link the 50 workbooks to one master, but I don't
    want to open each one and link it that way. Is there a way to merge
    workbooks, or an easier way of linking everything. Any assistance welcom.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: linking to multiple workbooks

    Start with this example for a few cells
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

    How big is the range that you want to link to ?
    I can make a example for you if you want if you give me this information

    Without links you can use this
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    cwwolfdog
    Guest

    Re: linking to multiple workbooks

    Thank you for your suggestions.

    Each workbook has 1 sheet with a different name for that sheet, however the
    sheet name matches the workbook name. I was looking at your examples and
    thought that might be important. As for ranges, each worksheet will have
    about 10 links that I need pulling off information. I only have one range
    that I will need to do an addition with. for example
    A1 B1 C1 D1
    E1 etc.
    row 1 "wrkbook name" phone calls (Range/link) emails (range/link)
    etc.

    Let me know if this helps at all.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    cwwolfdog
    Guest

    Re: linking to multiple workbooks

    I also wanted to mention that I did try your code, but it was always yellow.
    I think I am not understanding the formula building part of your code,
    however I did get the new workbook with the first column having the workbook
    name in it.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: linking to multiple workbooks

    Hi

    Sorry for the late response (very busy)

    Try this example
    It will make links to Range("A1:E1")
    It use the sheet with the same name as the workbook name

    Sub Summary_cells_from_Different_Workbooks()
    Dim FileNameXls As Variant
    Dim SummWks As Worksheet
    Dim ColNum As Integer
    Dim myCell As Range, Rng As Range
    Dim RwNum As Long, FNum As Long, FinalSlash As Long
    Dim ShName As String, PathStr As String
    Dim SheetCheck As String, JustFileName As String
    Dim JustFolder As String

    Set Rng = Range("A1:E1") '<---- Change

    FileNameXls = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:="Excel Files, *.xls", _
    MultiSelect:=True)
    'Select the files with GetOpenFilename

    If IsArray(FileNameXls) = False Then
    'do nothing
    Else
    With Application
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    End With

    Set SummWks = Workbooks.Add(1).Worksheets(1)
    'Add a new workbook with one sheet for the Summary

    RwNum = 1
    'The links to the first sheet will start in row 2

    For FNum = LBound(FileNameXls) To UBound(FileNameXls)
    ColNum = 1
    RwNum = RwNum + 1

    FinalSlash = InStrRev(FileNameXls(FNum), "\")
    JustFileName = Mid(FileNameXls(FNum), FinalSlash + 1)
    JustFolder = Left(FileNameXls(FNum), FinalSlash - 1)

    SummWks.Cells(RwNum, 1).Value = JustFileName
    'copy the workbook name in column A

    ShName = Left(JustFileName, Len(JustFileName) - 4)

    PathStr = "'" & JustFolder & "\[" & JustFileName & "]" & ShName & "'!"
    'build the formula string

    On Error Resume Next
    SheetCheck = ExecuteExcel4Macro(PathStr & Range("A1").Address(, , xlR1C1))

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    SummWks.Cells(RwNum, 1).Resize(1, Rng.Cells.Count + 1).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    'If the sheet name not exist in the workbook the row color will be Yellow.
    Else
    For Each myCell In Rng.Cells
    ColNum = ColNum + 1
    SummWks.Cells(RwNum, ColNum).Formula = "=" & PathStr & myCell.Address
    Next myCell
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    Next FNum

    SummWks.UsedRange.Columns.AutoFit
    ' Use AutoFit for setting the column width in the new workbook

    MsgBox "The Summary is ready, save the file if you want to keep it"

    With Application
    .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With