Opening an Excel File

  1. #1
    jedi249
    Guest

    Opening an Excel File

    My computer recently crashed and I was able to back-up my data from my hard
    drive to a cd before I did a system restore. I have MS Office 2000. I am
    trying to open an Excel file from the cd and I get the following message:

    "Cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to
    access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
    be responding. Access is denied."

    When I try to change the properties of the file and take off the read-only
    attribute, I get the following message:

    "An error occurred applying the attributes to the file. Access is denied."

    I also tried doing an xcopy of the file to the hard drive and I get the same
    message. There are other Excel files on the same cd which open just fine. How
    can I open this file?

  2. #2
    papou
    Guest

    Re: Opening an Excel File

    Hi
    The files you save on a CD(R) become Read-Only.
    Once you restore these files from your CD onto your hard drive, remember to
    reset their attribute by UNticking "Read-only" on the files properties.

    HTH
    Cordially
    Pascal

    news: [email protected]...

  3. #3
    jedi249
    Guest

    Re: Opening an Excel File

    I have tried restoring this file to the hard drive and unticking the
    read-only attribute and I get the same message.

  4. #4
    papou
    Guest

    Re: Opening an Excel File

    Hi again
    >I have tried restoring this file

    What do you mean?
    If your file was copied from the CD onto your hard disk and from there (your
    hard disk) you unticked the read-only attribute and got the message, then I
    am afraid I do not have a clue unless the file is corrupt or I have missed
    something?

  5. #5
    jedi249
    Guest

    Re: Opening an Excel File

    Hi again,

    Yes, I did copy this file from the CD onto the hard disk and the read-only
    attribute was unticked, but I still get the same messages. So does that mean
    the file is corrupt and I am out of luck trying to get the data?

    Thanks for your help,
    Karin

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Opening an Excel File

    Try doing it from WINDOWS Explorer.

    Navigate to the file in Windows Explorer.

    Right click on the file and click on "Properties".

    Usually in the "General" tab, under "Attributes", you should be able to
    *UNCHECK* "Read Only".
    --

    HTH,

    RD