Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

  1. #1
    Martc
    Guest

    Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    I am using a lookup formula in Excel 2003 to display a product description
    when I enter a product code.

    I am having a problem with choosing what category to assign to the cells.
    The product code can start with a number (some start with a 0) or a letter.
    If I assign the cells to be a number, when I enter a code that starts with 0
    such as 0109 it changes it to 109. We need it to show the 0 in front.

    If I assign the cells to be text, the product codes such as 0109 work and it
    shows the right product description but when I use a product code that
    doesn't start with 0 such as 2208 it doesn't show the product description
    from the lookup table.

    Any help would be v.much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    Set it up in the same way that you have setup the key column in the lookup
    table.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Martc
    Guest

    Re: Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    Thanks for your quick reply. Both columns are set up exactly the same.

    Is it to do with the formula??

    =(IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1395,LOOKUP!$A$1:$B$201,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1395,LOOKUP!$A$1:$B$201,2,FALSE)))

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    LOOKUP is not a good name for a worksheet, as it is a function name. Try
    another name.

  5. #5
    Martc
    Guest

    Re: Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    I have changed the worksheet name to "Product Table" but the problem is still
    there.

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    It sounds as though your problem lies in the way the product codes are
    entered in the lookup table. My surmise is that some codes are in the table
    as text entries while others are numeric entries.

    Quick fix -
    1) format the column of product codes as text
    2) if there aren't too many codes, highlight the range of codes and re-enter
    each one by pressing the F2 key followed by the Enter key until all have been
    re-entered.
    3) if there are too many to do manually, right click on the Product Table
    sheet's tab, select View Code, and paste this code in

    Sub ReEntry()
    Dim cc As Range
    For Each cc In Selection
    cc.Value = cc.Text
    Next
    End Sub

    then select the range of product codes and run that code agaisnt it.

    Good luck
    Duke

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc

    Format the lookup table key column and the data entries to General.