how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cells .

  1. #1
    Jim99
    Guest

    how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cells .

    I have this worksheet problem. The work sheet is thousands of rows long. One
    of my columns has cells not populated. I would like to get any empty cell in
    this column to populate itself with the contents of the next populated cell
    below it?
    Kind of a "find and replace" action where by an empty cell says to it
    self;"I'm going fill myself in with the next thing I find below me"
    I would greatly appreciate if someone can relate how to do this.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cells .

    Jim,

    Select the column, use Edit | Go To... Special , Blanks, OK. Then type an
    equal sign, press the down arrow key once, and press Ctrl-Enter. Then copy
    the whole column and paste special values.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim99
    Guest

    Re: how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cel

    Thanks, this is helpful up to the last sentence; Then copy
    the whole column and paste special values.
    At this point I'm lost, I mean how do I get Excel to repeat this process
    through the remaining 13,000 rows? Also, more often than not I don't have a
    single empty cell, but a number, up to about 5 or 6. So when there are
    multiple cells I want all of them populated with the contents of the next
    populated cell.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cel

    When Bernie typed 'Select the column' he meant to click on the column header
    - i.e., the 'A' above column A. This will select the entire column.

    Once you've done that, follow the rest of his steps to fill ALL empty cells

  5. #5
    Jim99
    Guest

    Re: how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cel

    Yes, I did click on the column header to select the whole column. then
    edit>go to>special>blanks and Excel then drops to the next empty cell. If the
    cell below the next empty cell is empty then this action populates the
    identified cell with < 0 >, zero. If I keep tapping the down arrow till I
    get to a populated cell, Excel fills in the identified cell, but only the
    identified cell. So I have to execute this sequence for each empty cell.
    This tactic takes longer than myself selecting the next populated cell and
    dragging its contents upward to populate the empty ones.
    At this point it seems like I can only get around this problem,
    because the sheet is so big, by learning Access. I have two other big
    worksheets involved in this task. I was hoping to just splice them together
    in Excel, which would require no empty cells.

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cel

    Jim,

    Excel appears to drop to the next empty cell, but it actually has selected
    ALL the empty cells. The first empty cell is the active cell. Do not touch
    anything except the = key after hitting OK on the Go To / special / blanks.
    Then press the down arrow once, and press CTRL-ENTER. That is the crucial
    step - it appears that you only pressed enter.

  7. #7
    Jim99
    Guest

    Re: how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cel

    Oh my gosh! magic! wow, thank you so much. of course I feel stupid,
    because you told me contol-enter the first time. whew, another month I can
    put off learning Access, calculus, quadratic equations and my parent's new
    remote.
    Thanks.