link source data

  1. #1
    Shahrazad
    Guest

    link source data

    I worked on employees data in excel version 2002, the worksheet contain lots
    of formulas, when i email the file to my supervisors, she get a message
    stating "This Workbook contains link to other data sources", i either to
    choose update or not to update icons, what ever i choose, the cells that
    contain fomulas switch to #Name or #Value. please help me asap what is the
    problem, i tried many times to solve it but i gave up.
    please let me know

  2. #2
    Carole O
    Guest

    RE: link source data

    One way would be to open a new spreadsheet, select the whole employee data
    worksheet, copy, go to the new spreadsheet, paste special, values. Your
    supervisor won't be able to update and have the formulas work, because the
    formulas are not moving to the new spreadsheet.

    Another way would be to find what the link is. There are several
    suggestions in the excel community - just do a search on "link".

    Hope this helps,
    Carole O

  3. #3

    Re: link source data

    xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
    versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
    prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

    Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP11.phx.gbl

    Maybe it'll work for you.

  4. #4

    Re: link source data

    I bet you meant Bill Manville's FindLink addin:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm