Excel Column-Can I separate info within a cell?

  1. #1
    Stan
    Guest

    Excel Column-Can I separate info within a cell?

    I have a col of Pope names.
    3. St. Anacletus (Cletus) (76-88) (total line is a single cell)
    4. St. Clement I (88-97)
    5. St. Evaristus (97-105)
    I want to eliminate [3. St.] and sort by name Anacleus only.
    Is there a way to do this?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    I don't know if every one of your entries will start St.
    But let's assume they do.
    Highlight the column of data (making sure there is an empty column or two to its right).
    Use Data > Text to columns and choose delimited by . (a period).

    This should leve you with St in one col and the rest of the entry in the next col.

    Alf

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Column-Can I separate info within a cell?

    One way to try ..

    Select the column

    Click Data > Text to Columns > check "Delimited" > Next

    In step2, enter a period "." in the "Other:" box, click Next

    In step3, in the Data preview pane:
    Select the 1st col, then check "Do not import column (Skip)" under Col data
    format. Note that the 1st col header will change to "Skip"
    Repeat to skip the 2nd col

    Click Finish

    The above will remove the desired parts
    Now you could just Data > Sort to taste on the column
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Column-Can I separate info within a cell?

    > > 3. St. Anacletus (Cletus) (76-88) (total line is a single cell)
    > > 4. St. Clement I (88-97)
    > > 5. St. Evaristus (97-105)
    > > I want to eliminate [3. St.] ..

    Assuming data above is in A1 down, another way to try is to put in B1:

    =MID(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"St.","")),SEARCH(".",TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"St.","")))
    +2,99)

    Copy B1 down, then do a copy > paste special > values to overwrite col A,
    and delete col B. Then do the Data > Sort on col A
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Stan
    Guest

    RE: Excel Column-Can I separate info within a cell?

    Sorry for delay in replying. The reply I received was specific! And it
    worked! I just did not follow the instructions. BUT, my D-I-L did.

    So thank you!

    Stan

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Column-Can I separate info within a cell?

    Pleasure`, Stan !
    Thanks for posting back
    --
    Rgds