strip minus signs from right to left

  1. #1
    Heather
    Guest

    strip minus signs from right to left

    When I import to excel from our accounting system, negative numbers show the
    minus sign at the right e.g. 100- instead of -100 or (100) Excel reads this
    as text and I have to go through the list manually inserting a minus sign at
    the left and deleting the minus sign from the right.

    Is there any easier way to do this? The numbers are not a fixed length, so
    the - could be the third or the thirteenth character in the cell.

  2. #2
    Heather
    Guest

    RE: strip minus signs from right to left

    Found it! Thanks PJB
    =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="-",-SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""),A1)

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: strip minus signs from right to left

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:39:26 -0700, "Heather"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When I import to excel from our accounting system, negative numbers show the
    >minus sign at the right e.g. 100- instead of -100 or (100) Excel reads this
    >as text and I have to go through the list manually inserting a minus sign at
    >the left and deleting the minus sign from the right.
    >
    >Is there any easier way to do this? The numbers are not a fixed length, so
    >the - could be the third or the thirteenth character in the cell.

    What version of Excel do you have?

    Later versions (2002+, possibly earlier) can do this automatically -- easiest
    if your data to be converted is in columns.

    Select the relevant column (one column at a time).

    From the main menu, select Data/Text to Columns
    Next
    Next
    Advanced: Ensure "Trailing minus for negative numbers" is SELECTED.
    OK
    Finish

    If you have an earlier version, or a complicated distribution of numbers with
    trailing negatives, post back and we can use a VBA routine.

    --ron