merging data from two different sheets

  1. #1
    Cantor Lieberman
    Guest

    merging data from two different sheets

    As Cantor of a large synagogue, I'd like to have membership data on my palm
    pilot. My office provided me with two files:
    1. Includes ID, names, addresses, birthdates, phones...etc.
    2. Includes ID, children's names and birthdates.

    Using the ID as the common link, how can I easily merge the correct
    children's names with parental records, creating one file which I can import
    to Outlook and thus sync with my palm.

    Appreciate your help!
    Robert

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: merging data from two different sheets

    Assume that you will use the table with most info (number 1 in your
    description)
    Assume also for simplicity that the first ID starts in A2 with a ID header
    in A1 (still in the 1st file)
    Now in the first empty adjacent column to the right in row 2 put

    =VLOOKUP($A2,[children.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$E$200,COLUMN(B:B),0)

    where A2 holds the ID in the main table that will be looked up in the
    children table

    now copy the formula across as long as needed, if the children table is 4
    columns across then
    copy 3 columns across, then copy down.

    Once you have copied down copy the new columns that have been added and in
    place do edit>paste special as values. That way the new values become
    independent of the old values, finally if needed shuffle the new columns and
    cut and insert if you want the children's names next to the parents etc

    Peo Sjoblom

    "Cantor Lieberman" <Cantor [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rowan
    Guest

    Re: merging data from two different sheets

    Peo

    I was going to give the same answer but then I thought that it's likely that
    the children's data is on multiple rows i.e.
    ID1234 Child1
    ID1234 Child2
    ID5555 Child1
    etc

    If this is the case then I was thinking the Vlookup would only find the
    first child

    Regards
    Rowan