I am having trouble keeping numbers formatted in a Pivot Table

  1. #1
    Liana H
    Guest

    I am having trouble keeping numbers formatted in a Pivot Table

    I have a pivot table that won't stay formatted. The data is formatted as
    currency in the worksheet that the Pivot Table is drawing off of. It shows up
    as a general number in the Pivot. I've tried formatting it in the Pivot but
    it doesn't stay when I refresh the data. "Preserve formatting" is checked on
    the Pivot table, so it SHOULD be preserving any formatting I apply to the
    pivot table, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know I could record a
    macro to format this, but it is happening on multiple Pivot tables in the
    same workbook and that would be a pain to run the macros every time I refresh
    the data. I'd like to just resolve the problem. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: I am having trouble keeping numbers formatted in a Pivot Table

    You may have to enable selection (From the Pivot toolbar, choose
    PivotTable>Select, and click on Enable Selection)

    Before formatting cells, use the selection feature to select the
    cells. For example, move the pointer to the top of a column in the pivot
    table (just above the column's heading cell). When the black arrow
    appears (like the one that appears when the pointer is over a column
    button), click to select the column in the pivot table. Then apply the
    formatting.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List