embedding worksheet cells in another worksheet

  1. #1
    SCW
    Guest

    embedding worksheet cells in another worksheet

    I have a very large, unwieldy spreadsheet that I am trying to condense by
    embedding a small set of cells in a cell in a master spreadsheet. Following
    the online help for "Create a link to another cell, workbook, or program," I
    can embed a Excel workbook in a cell in another workbook. However, I do not
    need to embed a whole workbook. I only need to embed a few cells from a
    worksheet.

    At the bottom of the online help article at

    In the section entitled, "Insert part of an existing document as a linked or
    embedded object," the article states:

    "Note You can't paste worksheet cells or a chart as a linked or embedded
    object in a Microsoft Excel workbook. However, you can use the Copy Picture
    command (hold down SHIFT and click the Edit menu) to create a link to cells
    on this or another sheet"

    What is meant by "a link" here? If I just insert a snapshot of the cells I
    want to embed in the cell in the master spreadsheet, I get a graphical
    picture, not a "link" to the original cells I am embedding, nor an embedded
    object I can modify with Excel.

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: embedding worksheet cells in another worksheet

    I am not clear on what you want to do. A "link" is simply a means of
    automatically copying from one place to another. For instance, a link in
    WB1, cell A1, to WB2 , cell F17 simply means that whatever is in F17 of WB2
    will appear in A1 of WB1, assuming both workbooks are open.
    Provide an example of what you want to do. Something like "I have this
    in A1 and that in B1 and this other in C1 of WB1. I want THIS to be in WB2.
    Show the details of what you have and the details of what you want to have.
    HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: embedding worksheet cells in another worksheet

    Copy the range as usual, navigate to the other workbook, hold down the Shift
    key and select Edit>Paste Picture Link - pastes a picture that is linked to
    the source and will change when the source changes (You may have to have both
    files open simultaneously for the link to work)

    That method is probably less useful and less flexibile than simply linking
    specific cells in one workbook to specific cells in the other