currency icon (british pounds)

  1. #1
    hrh frank
    Guest

    currency icon (british pounds)

    I want to format columns in excel using the currency icon in the toolbar.
    When I click on this I get the accountancy formatting, ie the pound sign £
    appears at the extreme left of the cell and not directly in front of the
    number (eg £ 123.45 not £123.45). So how do I make the currency icon work
    properly ?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: currency icon (british pounds)

    Set a custom format (Format>Cells>Custom) of £#,##0.00;£(#,##0.00)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    hrh frank
    Guest

    Re: currency icon (british pounds)

    Thanks BOB. your suggestion does work, but would take 5 keystrokes. I want
    to be able to highlight a column, click on a toolbar icon, and for all the
    numbers to be then formatted as currency. So I need to customise a toolbar
    icon to do this. any ideas ?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: currency icon (british pounds)

    Add the toolbar button, or create a template with a column already formatted
    thus.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: currency icon (british pounds)

    frank

    Format>Style>Currency>Modify>Custom.

    Change to Bob's format and OK your way out.

    That sets the default for the Currency button.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    hrh frank
    Guest

    Re: currency icon (british pounds)

    Hi Gord,

    Thanks for your reply. I have just tried it and it works perfrctly, thankyou.
    Only one thing, you have to do this everytime you open a new workbook. Is
    there a way to make this a permanent fix, without making a template ?

    hrh frank

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: currency icon (british pounds)

    Add this to the Thisworkbook code module

    ActiveWorkbook.Styles("Currency").NumberFormat = _
    Selection.Style = "Currency"
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    ActiveWorkbook.Styles("Currency").NumberFormat = _
    Selection.Style = "Currency"

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...