.xlb extension

  1. #1
    Tanya T.
    Guest

    .xlb extension

    I received a document with an .xlb extension in which I cannot open. What is
    an .xlb extension and how do I get this document open?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: .xlb extension

    Tanya

    The .xlb extension is the file that holds menu and toolbar customizations for
    Excel.

    It is not a workbook file that can be opened as such.

    When you open it all it does is change your menus and toolbars settings if any
    modifications were done.

    If your settings were changed when you tried to open the *.xlb, you will have
    to reset those back to your settings.

    Best way to do this is to find your *.xlb file and rename to *.old

    Restart Excel and it will build you a new default *.xlb

    The ask the original sender to try again with a "real" Excel file *.xls.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Re: .xlb extension

    ..xlb files is where excel stores toolbars. You should be able to open it just
    by doubleclicking on it (after you've saved it).

    But if you were really expecting a workbook, then I wouldn't do it. Call the
    sender and ask them to send the correct file.

  4. #4
    zackb
    Guest

    Re: .xlb extension

    Note that deleting this file is not necessarily a bad thing either. If you
    accidentally give it the axe (Excel must be closed) Excel will recreate it
    upon opening; you will of course be back to square 1 on your toolbars if
    you've customized at all.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

  5. #5
    Tanya T.