Difference In Time

  1. #1
    James
    Guest

    Difference In Time

    I have one colum that has the time(hour:minute:second) and cell underneath
    has a second time some seconds later. I need to find out the difference in
    time (in seconds) and place this value in a seperate cell. The cell
    underneath has a time, and I need to find the difference in that cell and
    the one under it, and put it in a seperate cell....and it contiunes for
    thousands of times. How would I go about doing this?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Difference In Time

    Hi James,
    A2: 23:00:15
    A3: 23:00:45 B3: =A3-A2 format as time

    If you might insert/remove lines later change
    B3: =A3-OFFSET(A3,-1,0)

    If the times might run through midnight (see my datetime.htm page)
    B3: =A3-A2 + (A2>A3)
    modified with offset so you can insert/remove lines later
    B3: =A3-OFFSET(A3,-1,0) + (OFFSET(A3,-1,0)>A3)
    reason for use of OFFSET in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/offset.htm

    If you want the answer in decimal seconds you would format
    as decimal and multiply by 86400 which is 24*60*60
    to convert difference in days to seconds.

    If the question is also one of copying the formulas down,
    that is done with the fill handle. Grab the blob to the right of
    a selected cell in this case A3 with the mouse and drag down.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
    You can double click on the fill handle if your A column goes
    down for thousands of cells. Another way is to use the name box
    to the left of the formula bar: B3:B4005 then use Ctrl+D
    to fill down http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm
    ---
    HTH,

    "James" <[email protected]> wrote ...

  3. #3
    James
    Guest

    Re: Difference In Time

    well Right now A1 is 12:30:12 AM
    A2 is 12:30:24 AM
    B3 =A2-A1 which =12:30:12 AM...., I want it to equal 12...

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    James
    Guest

    Re: Difference In Time

    Ok, I reformated and it seems to work now with the a2-a1

    Ok, yes I also need to fill in thousands of cells with these values, but I
    want it to be a2-1 with the answer in the cell to the right, then a4-a3
    with the answer to the right, so basically only second line will have a
    value, not all of them...
    How do I do this?

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Difference In Time

    It's not 12, it's 12 seconds.What would you like it to say if A2 was
    12:32:24 ?

    Format the cell as time (no AM/PM suffix) to see 00:00:12
    Or format as general and multiply by 86400 to see 12

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "James" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    James
    Guest

    Re: Difference In Time

    Ok, never mind I have it all figured out now, thanks a lot!!

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Difference In Time

    Hi James,
    Glad you got it working how you wanted, but please try
    to be more specific when telling us what your problem is.

    > want it to be a2-1 with the answer in the cell to the right,

    Maybe to an English major (lawyer) that makes sense, but I don't
    know what is to the right of what and that is why I gave
    examples with addresses and formulas.

    And I presume you meant =A2-A1
    but it is questionable to me if that would be
    B1: =A2-A1
    or
    B2: =A2-A1
    though it really shouldn't matter much to you, because you
    should be able to pick up on *where* you want the formula
    and to adapt the formula to your use.
    It makes things a lot easier to answer if you tell us specifically
    what you have and want, rather than forcing us to read through a
    paragraph to try to figure out what could have been written
    with addresses and values and addresses and desired results.
    (and what you tried that didn't work)

    I started at A2 with the first number instead of A1 to allow you
    to put titles on the first row, but the examples work the same way.

    The fill handle works the same whether you start with a
    formula in B1, B2, or B3 and fill down.

    Anyway, you found everything and worked it out, don't
    forget what I wrote about modifying formulas if your
    times go through midnight, and modifying formulas if
    you might possibly be deleting and/or inserting times
    from the middle.

    The more time you spend working out the question, the
    easier it will be to answer. If you do a real good job at explaining
    the problem. You might even find that you can answer most of
    your own questions (even it is just happens to as soon as you
    hit the send key).

    Good luck with your future problems.
    ---
    HTH,