Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

  1. #1

    Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    I have a speadsheet with hyperlink pointers to relative files,.
    Entries and links set up before today all work fine. New ones
    added today report an input/output processing error.

    What is going on? I assume this is very obvious, but I just
    can't figure it out.

    Paul

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Hi Paul,
    Not obvious to me either what are relative files and please
    provide examples of what you have, what you want, what
    you did and what you see instead.
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Thanks David,

    Excel File is in directory d:\Updated Cemetery Database

    Pictures are in a subdirectory d:\Updated Cemetery Database\Brainerd
    Image

    Image file in question is: 0217.jpg

    File is definitely in the directory and if I click on it, it opens and
    I see the image.

    1. Within the spreadsheet, in a cell, I type the word "Photo".
    2. I then right click on "Photo" and select "Hyperlink"
    3. In hyperlink, Link to is "Existing file or Web Page", Look in is
    "Current Folder", which is set to Updated Cemetery Database. Showing
    in the window is the Brainerd Images directory, I select it, then
    select the Brainerd Images directory and select the 0217.jpg file
    within it.
    4. The "Photo" is now an underlined hyperlink. If I click on it, the
    following error message appears: Cannot open "D:\Updated Cemetery
    Database\0217.jpg"! Input/output failure during processing.
    5. Note that the Brainerd Images subdirectory is not part of the
    directory name in step 4 above. I don't know why it is missing.

    Also, if I try to browse to the file using the browse function in step
    3, I get the error message "The folder 'D:\Updated Cemetery
    Database\Brainerd%20Images\0217.jpg' isn't accessible. The folder may
    be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or
    the file name contains a / or \.

    For some reason, I think the Brainerd Images subdirectory name is
    being concatenated with the file name, thus including the "\" symbol
    and also creating a non-existent file name.

    Any suggestions?

    Paul

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Hi Paul,

    Reference to Absolute and Relative Hyperlinks
    see replies by Harlan Grove
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=uHC...12@tkmsftngp03
    and this one for access hyperlink property
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=OjV...68@tkmsftngp04

    Also I notice you have spaces in your directory names one of them was replaced by %20 which is a space.I'd suggest testing with
    directories without spaces.Some browsers other than IE may not accept backslashes in which case you would have to use
    file://d:/Updated%20Cemetary%Data/...
    But that is probably not the problem I also tested my use of
    HYPERLINK Worksheet Function by removing the hyphen in
    my example so it was a space.

    What do you see if you right click on the link and use edit hyperlink

    You could specify the pathname in a cell on a specific sheet
    and then use the HYPERLINK worksheet function
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm

    What you are doing is similar to what people producing
    catalogs might do.

    c:/camera-canong3/25pct/ ( --- also worked with backslashes)
    IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0028.JPG =HYPERLINK("file://" & $A$1 & A2,A2)
    IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0029.JPG =HYPERLINK("file://" & $A$1 & A3,A3)
    also worked without "file://" prefix
    IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0030.JPG =HYPERLINK($A$1 & A4,A4)

    You can get the pathname of the current workbook into cell A1 with your next directory
    A1: =LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1) & "\Brainerd Image\"

    or with VBA: [a1] = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Brainerd Image\"

    --
    ---
    HTH,

    <[email protected]> wrote

  5. #5

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Hi David,

    OK, here is what I have so far.

    1. I changed the directory names to removed spaces. No effect.

    2. I created a hyperlink the normal way described earlier. When the
    link creation window opens, it describes the current directory as
    "Updated_Cemetery_Database" and in the window below, I see
    the directories in the current directory. I double click on the
    "Brainerd_Images" directory to open it and the file list within opens
    in the window...but the current directory does not update. It stays
    "Updated_Cemetery_Database".
    On the file line at the bottom, it reads "Brainerd_Images\0217.jpg"
    (after I select the image file).
    I select "OK" and the window closes.

    The link does not work. Notice that the error message shows the
    directory as "Updated_Cemetery_Database\0217.jpg"
    It is possible a bug has been introduced to Excel.

    Paul

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Hi Paul,
    I was asking what you see for the hyperlink in a cell (Ctrl+K)
    when you edit the Inserted Hyperlink. etc. not what you
    see if you manually go through a directory.

    I see that depending on what you choose on the left (Ctrl+K)
    the titles on the boxes change: which choice, and
    which of the following titles do you have
    Type the file or Web page name:
    Type the cell address:
    Type the cell reference:
    Email address:
    and what is the content, and what is the text to display value

    I was also attempting to show you how you could
    manipulate hyperlink by strictly using the HYPERLINK
    Worksheet Function. In my example the
    pathname with a an ending slash was
    in cell A1 the pathname with an ending slash
    A1: c:/Updated_Cemetery_Database/Brainerd Image/
    in cell A2 and down the filename
    A2: img_0028.jpg
    A3: img_0029.jpg
    in cell B2 and down the formula use fill handle to copy down from B2
    B2: =HYPERLINK("file://" & $A$1 & A2,A2)
    B2: =HYPERLINK("file://" & $A$1 & A3,A3)

  7. #7

    Another Update

    David,

    Other behaviour I've noted from testing.

    From the note prior to this, I created a hyperlink the normal way.
    I noticed that the Current Directory field did not change from the
    Updated_Cemetery_Database to Brainerd_Images when I opened
    the Brainerd_Images directory.

    New results:

    When creating the link, in the Create or Edit Hyperlink window, if
    I back the current directory out to the disk drive level, then tunnel
    down to the Brainerd_Images level, the current directory DOES change
    to Brainerd_Images. However, I notice that the address field then
    reads "Brainerd_Images/0217.jpg". I assume that is because the actual
    relative address offset from the current directory of the open
    spreadsheet is the one that the hyperlink needs to find the file. I
    click on OK and the link does not work. Again, I notice that the
    "Brainerd_Images" portion of the address is missing from the error
    message, which reads "Cannot Open
    "D:\Updated_Cemetery_Database\0217.jpg". Input/Output Error During
    Processing!".

    Well, if it is ignoring the subdirectory component during the parsing
    of the address, of course it can't find the file!.

    Lastly, if I manually enter the entire address into the address field
    on the Edit/Create Hyperlink window, then click OK. The link works.
    If I open the Edit Hyperlink function and close it without doing
    anything, the link no longer works.

    I really feel that the Create/Edit Hyperlink function has a bug on my
    system. All of this worked OK in the past, as I have been adding
    links to this database for almost 2 years.

    I'm going to uninstall Excell and re-install it and see if the problem
    goes away.

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Hi Paul,
    Please don't change the subject within a thread, I put it back
    to the original in this reply. I doubt very much if uninstalling
    and reinstalling Excel (or Excell for that matter) is going to make
    a difference. You could use the HYPERLINK Worksheet
    Function as a workaround. What version of Excel do you
    have.

    --
    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9
    Ramapo
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Sorry about the subject change. I'm using Office Professional Edition
    2003, Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1

    I'm currently putting the links in manually, pasting in the full
    directory name and adding each picture file name at the end. This
    works as long as I don't use the edit hyperlink function again.
    Simply opening that function and closing it corrupts the link.

    Paul

  10. #10

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Update on manual entry. approach:

    I put in a few manually using both the Create and Edit Hyperlink
    functions. They work until I save the file and then try them again.
    Then, they are broken again.

    If I enter the link using the =HYPERLINK function as you suggested,
    they work and survive being saved and the file restarted. So, I'll go
    with this method, since it seems to work.

    I still believe the Create and Edit Hyperlink functions are broken,
    at least on my two machines. They both exhibit the same behavior.

    Thanks for all the help David.

    Paul

  12. #12
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink to file. Input/Output processing error Reported

    Hi Paul,
    Actually you repeated your previous update in the thread. I will
    assume since the wording is the same that you wanted some
    additional reply from me and thought I'd not seen it.

    I do see all replies under my replies and under replies to my replies.
    Glad the HYPERLINK Worksheet Function method is working for you.

    Sorry couldn't help you with your original method. I don't have Excel 2003.
    My usual approach is to bypass problems if there is a workaround.
    So I figured you would not be looking for additional input from me
    after stating what you found/did that worked.

    If you want to pursue the original problem then you would have
    to create a script (steps on paper) of what one would do to
    create directories and files, and then see if it consistently fails
    elsewhere. If others experience the same problem, then you
    have a reportable problem that can be duplicated and much more
    likely to get a fix (2, 3, 5 versions later).
    ---
    HTH,