staff trouble at work with excel

  1. #1
    Big Blue
    Guest

    staff trouble at work with excel

    I have numerous people with varying compueter skills using Excel on the same
    computer. Frequently, the formula gets inadvertently changed during the
    day. I would like to know how I can prevent this from happening. I don't
    recall which version of Excel I have (I am typing this from home). I hope
    this won't make a difference.
    Thanks

    --
    "Grammar, which knows how to control even kings..."
    Moliere (1622-1673)

  2. #2

    Re: staff trouble at work with excel

    If the number of cells where the users can change things doesn't change (no
    inserting of rows/columns and no deleting of rows/columns), you can lock the
    cells with formulas and unlock the cells that you allow changes.

    Format|Cells|Protection tab
    is where you'd toggle the setting.

    Then you can protect the worksheet (tools|protection|protect sheet).

    Now the users will be able to change values in those unlocked cells--but they
    won't be able to modify the cells that are locked (which should be header labels
    and formulas).

    Depending on the version of excel that you are running, there will be lots of
    things that you can't do on a protected worksheet.

    Experiment a bit and you'll see what features you need to work. There are
    sometimes macro workarounds that can be used.

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: staff trouble at work with excel

    Protect or make your formulas to be created with macros instead to leave
    just the values.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software