Format Cells

  1. #1
    Pete
    Guest

    Format Cells

    is there anyway I can apply a custom format to cells that
    can show either whole numbers, or decimals points e.g

    A1=15
    A2=15.5

    I would like this to be the standard for all cells in my
    sheet.

    I know you can apply Custom formats using [ ] etc.

    Thanks

    Pete

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Format Cells

    If you use the General format, it will show the number of decimals that
    you've entered in the cell.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Format Cells

    Hi Debra,

    I've misinformed you, the spreadsheet I have is a results sheet. Some
    scores can be decimal, some whole e.g

    A1=15 (this time)
    A1=15.5 (next time)

    I don't want to have to keep formatting the cells, can it be done
    automatically as the numbers are entered (as there is a lot).

    is it possible to have dual format cells?

    Tnaks

    Pete

  4. #4

    Re: Format Cells

    If you make the column wide enough to show all the decimals, but format it as
    General, what do you see when the cell evaluates to 15?

    How about when it evaluates to 15.5?

  5. #5
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Format Cells

    Gotta Gun, I think I need shooting. I have formatted the cells as
    General, and all works fine.

    Thanks

    PEte

  6. #6

    Re: Format Cells

    Debra isn't wrong very often. I know I test 8 or 9 times before I post back
    that one of her suggestions didn't work for me! (And then I use a pseudonym!)

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Format Cells

    Thank you for your continued support. <g>

    And Pete, I'm glad you got the formatting to work.

  8. #8
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Format Cells

    Your Brilliant, you've helped me so much in the past too

    Thanks Deborah