automatic import from excel

  1. #1
    Phil H
    Guest

    automatic import from excel

    I need to import data into access from an excel spreadsheet daily. Currently
    I'm deleting to contents of yesterdays table then importing manually to get
    my queries and reports to refresh with todays data. Being an access novice
    I'm having a bit of trouble getting this all automated....any help would be
    greatfully received
    --
    Thanks in advance...Phil

  2. #2
    patrick
    Guest

    RE: automatic import from excel

    To help in the automation, I would open Access and link access to the excel
    spreadsheet. File>Get external data>link tables>(find the excel spreadsheet
    file with the correct tab) and select link. This creates a table in access
    directly linked to your excel file.
    Now setup query on the table in access. You will only have to specify the
    date to update your query.

  3. #3
    Phil H
    Guest

    RE: automatic import from excel

    Now an added complication...after creating the link access is now recognising
    a text column in excel as a numeric field in access...help!
    --
    Thanks in advance...Phil

  4. #4
    patrick
    Guest

    RE: automatic import from excel

    Make sure that the data in excel is text>in excel highlight the column that
    is appearing as numeric to access>go to data>text to colums>third screen and
    select text>finish

    In access>select linked table>tools>database utilities>linked table
    manager>select table and update. Hope this remedies your problem
    Pat