Calculate cell row and column

  1. #1
    Barb R.
    Guest

    Calculate cell row and column

    I have a case where I have a pivot table one ROW designator with about 20
    values. I also have about 10 values. What I want to do is have the data
    listed as

    ROW 1 Data value 1 Data value 2 Data value 3 instead of

    Row 1 Data value1
    Data value2
    Data value3
    Row 2 Data value1

    etc.

    Is there a way to do this that isn't tedious?

    Thanks in advance,
    Barb Reinhardt

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    Barb,

    Drag the Data Value button to the top of the columns.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Barb R.
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    Tried that. It didn't work. I have data for 10-12 subprograms summarized
    as data for several metrics. I want to summarize each metric by subprogram.
    If I put the metric at the top of the column, it summarizes it by value for
    the metric.

    Did I miss something?

    I opted to use the "Transpose" function, but it's not as elegant as I'd like.

    Barb Reinhardt

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    Barb,

    If you could post a small table of your data, the result you get, and the
    result you want, then it would help clarify what you mean.

  5. #5
    Barb R.
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    OK, here is an attempt at an example without real data
    Metric 1 Metric 2 Metric 3 Metric 4
    Group 1
    Group 2
    Group 3
    Group 1
    Group 2
    Group 3
    Group 1
    Group 2
    Group 3
    Group 1
    Group 2
    Group 3

    I want to sum metric 1, 2, 3, etc. or each Group. My pivot table looks
    like this:

    Group 1 Metric1
    Metric2
    Metric3
    Group 2 Metric1
    Metric2
    Metric3
    Group 3 Metric1
    Metric2
    Metric3

    And I want
    Metric 1 Metric 2 Metric 3
    Sum Sum Sum
    Group 1
    Group 2
    Group 3

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    Barb,

    You don't actually have a database: you have a cross-tab table. To get it
    to work the way you want, you need to "un-cross-tab" your data, by using a
    pivot table in a special way, described at:

    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm

    Once you've done that, you can use a pivot table in a normal way to get the
    result you want.

  7. #7
    Barb R.
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    I never said I had a database. I'll take a look and see what I can glean
    from the link.

    Thanks,
    Barb Reinhardt

  8. #8
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Calculate cell row and column

    Barb,

    Yes, you never said that you had a database, but I wanted to be clear in my
    description, since pivot tables expect database style data tables. That's
    why I asked for an example of the type of data that you had.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP