Read only password script box

  1. #1
    Joey041
    Guest

    Read only password script box

    Hello,

    I don't get the script box asking for a password on a workbook anymore. It
    does display as read only. How can I get the box to appear again?
    --
    Very Thankful

  2. #2

    Re: Read only password script box

    Do you get that dialog when you are opening the file?

    If yes, then
    File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|
    give it a password to open (or modify).

    If you give it a password to modify and the user opens in readonly mode, then
    this user won't be prompted.

    But it sounds like you do have that modify password set.

    Two followup questions...

    Have you changed the attributes of the file (in windows explorer) to ReadOnly?
    If yes, then excel will notice this and won't bother asking you for a password
    to modify.

    Do you have the workbook stored on a drive that you have write access? If you
    can only read files from this (network????) drive, then excel will notice that
    and not bother you with a password.