Unlocking Cells when a worksheet is protected...

  1. #1
    racmb1975
    Guest

    Unlocking Cells when a worksheet is protected...

    I am creating a simply registration list that can be emailed to companies for
    them to fill out. In an effort not to have others change the format of the
    form I am trying to protect certain cells and allow access only to the cells
    I want others to fill in. I have been through the Excel help files many
    times, it tells me to protect the sheet, highlight the range of cells I want
    to unlock, go to Format, Cells, Protection, etc. However when I protect the
    sheet, I go to Format, and the Cells option is no longer an option. Even
    right clicking to go to Format Cells is turned off. How do I unlock these
    cells, after I protect the worksheet?

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Unlocking Cells when a worksheet is protected...

    racmb1975,

    By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
    want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the
    go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
    now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited.

    If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
    go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
    you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
    protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
    that you locked can not be edited
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jiwolf
    Guest

    Re: Unlocking Cells when a worksheet is protected...

    ok. As the help file says, select the cells you want the user to be able to
    access. On format>cells>protection. uncheck the box marked "locked ". Now
    protect the sheet. Only the cells that you selected and un locked are
    accessable by the user.