Conditional Formatting based on Text within Text

  1. #1
    George Lynch
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting based on Text within Text

    I need to create a conditional format based on a text string that will be
    contained in a larger text string within the active cell. I know I can use
    either the SEARCH or FIND function to determine if a text string is contained
    within a larger string, but those functions require a cell address and I
    don't know how to apply them to the current cell address, whatever it might
    be.

    So, for example, if the text string is "needs training", and the text in
    cell A5 is "George has had some exposure to the app, but he needs training",
    then I would want that cell to apply a conditional format because the phrase
    "needs training" is contained in the cell.

    Thanks in advance for any advice on this...

  2. #2
    PegL
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting based on Text within Text

    use the first cell select. So if you select all of column A, use A1. If you
    select A2:A500, use A2.

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting based on Text within Text

    One way:

    Select A5. Choose Format/Conditional Formatting...

    CF1: Formula is =COUNTIF(A5,"*needs training*")
    Format1: <your format here>

  4. #4
    George Lynch
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting based on Text within Text

    Hi Peg,

    Thank you for your suggestion. Works perfectly.

    George