Sheet names used in formulas

  1. #1
    frustratedwthis
    Guest

    Sheet names used in formulas

    I have a question about using sheet names in a formula. I would like the
    sheet name to go up by one page for each row I put the formula in...(ie)
    13A reads (="S40'!$W$5)... I need to have row 14 read (='S41'!$W$5)

    There are many many worksheets...260 in all that need this on them. Each
    worksheet is about 300 rows long. How can I do this without having to change
    the sheet name by hand???

    Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Sheet names used in formulas

    Hi!

    Here's one way:

    =INDIRECT("S"&ROW(A40)&"!$W$5")

    Which evaluates to:

    =S40!$W$5

    As you drag copy down:

    =S40!$W$5
    =S41!$W$5
    =S42!$W$5
    =S43!$W$5
    etc..

    Biff

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Sheet names used in formulas

    frustrated

    In A13 enter this and drag/copy down

    =INDIRECT("S" & (ROW()+27) & "!W5")

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Sheet names used in formulas

    Isn't it easier to use

    ROW(40:40)

    instead of

    ROW()+27

    ?

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Sheet names used in formulas

    Yes

    But I not so smart like you so use calculator first to figure out how many to
    add<g>

    Now, if it was GAA or GF/A I wouldn't need a calculator(at least this year)

    Gord

  6. #6
    frustratedwthis
    Guest

    Re: Sheet names used in formulas

    He guys,

    I used =INDIRECT("S"&$B14&"!$F$6")

    Thanks so much for your help!!!

  7. #7

    Similar Problem

    My first sheet is "Month"

    All following sheets are "1", "2", "3", etc.

    On the month sheet, I have 31 rows and a column for every data set. In B1 I want to reference the value in B10 on sheet "1". I cell B2 I reference the value in B10 on sheet "2". I would like to drag across and move the formula reference to the next sheet each time.

    =INDIRECT("ROW(A1)"&"!B3") did not work for me. What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    STRANGE...

    If I type this in a cell

    ='ROW(A10)'!B3

    It opens a window with the title "Update Values: =ROW(A10)" and allows me to select other excel files??? I'm not sure what it is doing there ~~

  9. #9
    I figured it out....

    =INDIRECT(ROW(A1)&"!B3")

    ...I needed to leave the quotations out.

  10. #10
    Can someone with excel formula wisdom please explain to me how INDIRECT works in this situation?? I think it is a very useful function, but it confuses the heck out of me.

    My understanding is that if the value in cell A1 is "A7" and I type "=INDIRECT(A1)" into cell B5, then cell be five will show the value that is in A7.

    If I type "=INDIRECT("A7")" into cell B5, then the value in A7 will be displayed. This is good when rows are added/removed. The reference to A7 is always stuck to that specifc row.

    But, now, I see the formulas above and get lost in the theory. What happened to the single quotations used in a sheet reference? Also, why must INDIRECT be used in the case?

    Anyone, please add your insight!!

  11. #11
    TEAM,

    I only manipulated the formula that was already given in this post...can't help you on that one.

  12. #12
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    You asked "What happened to the single quotations used in a sheet reference?"

    Single quote is used when referencing a different workBOOK, not sheet. So in this case, the ' is not needed.

    Use of INDIRECT allows the user to create a cell reference from multiple components, stored in various cells somewhere in the workbook.

    In sowetoddid's example:

    =INDIRECT(ROW(A1)&"!B3")

    (ROW(A1) returns the value of "1" which is concatenated with "!B3", the final result of the formula, therefore, is:

    =1!B3 which is a valid reference to cell B3 in the sheet named "1"

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA