Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

  1. #1
    Shad
    Guest

    Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
    list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
    drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
    groups?

    Thanks for the help,

    Shad

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    Not directly.
    You would have to write a macro to do so
    what some people do is to have several drop downs to cover the number of
    things The want to have.
    there are other ways to handle the situation also. depanding on what you
    want and need to do.

    The type of macro would depend how many itemsd you want to be able to select
    and what you want to do with them

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    What sort of drop-down?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Shad
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    It is just a list of groups that a user can scroll through. Created by going
    to Data/Validation choosing list and naming your list of items.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    You can do this with programming. There's a sample file here:

    Under Data Validation, look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  6. #6
    Shad
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    Debra,

    Thanks! The sample file you provided will solve my problems.

    Shad

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know.

  8. #8
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    I found this file but cannot get my lists to "cooperate" When I try to copy
    the code through Project Explorer it tells me there is already an object with
    that name in my file. Can you provide more specifics as to what I need to do
    with the file below to make my lists multi item select.
    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Choosing multiple items in a drop down list

    You can copy the code from the module in the sample file.
    In your workbook, right-click on the sheet tab for the worksheet where
    you have the data validation.
    Choose View Code, and paste the copied code.

    The code uses the Worksheet_Change event, and you can only have one
    procedure with that name on each worksheet module.

    Karen wrote:
    > I found this file but cannot get my lists to "cooperate" When I try to copy
    > the code through Project Explorer it tells me there is already an object with
    > that name in my file. Can you provide more specifics as to what I need to do
    > with the file below to make my lists multi item select.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
    >

    >>You can do this with programming. There's a sample file here:
    >>
    >> http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html
    >>
    >>Under Data Validation, look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'
    >>

    >>Shad wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a way to allow a user to choose more than one item from a drop down
    >>>list in excel? For example, if the column is titled "Groups Affected" and the
    >>>drop down list has several groups, how can they choose more than one of those
    >>>groups?

    >>--
    >>Debra Dalgleish
    >>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List