Using Date Grouping in Pivot Tables

  1. #1
    RaoulDuke
    Guest

    Using Date Grouping in Pivot Tables

    I've tried (to a maddening end) to figure out how to do this. According to
    the Excel help, once I've created a pivot table, all I need to do is select
    the column of dates, select group, and then a sub window will open up to
    allow me to subdivide by week, month, etc. However, despite every and any
    known attempt to alter the structure of the dates, I can never get the option
    to appear and all that Excel (using 2003) will do is put it in a generic
    Group1.

    The file I'm working with is a CSV output from an SQL table. Excel opens it
    without any problem, and easily recognizes the dates and offers all the
    formatting options, save the pivot table recognizing this as a date for
    grouping. I've even tried exporting to Access and reimporting as text, as
    excel.

    Does anyone know format the pivot table is looking for. Is there some sort
    of conversion I need to do? None of the excel date conversion functions work
    because the dates are already (it seems) in excel format.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Using Date Grouping in Pivot Tables

    Make sure the dates are numeric, they are probably seen as text

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...