how can i combine 2 columns in excel into 1 without losing data?

  1. #1
    sturville
    Guest

    how can i combine 2 columns in excel into 1 without losing data?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how can i combine 2 columns in excel into 1 without losing data?

    Assuming columns A and B

    In C1 enter =A1 & B1

    Double-click on the fill handle(black lump at bottom right corner)of C1 to
    increment the formula down the column as far as you have data in column B.

    If you would like a space between the data........

    =A1 & " " & B1

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 16:26:03 -0700, sturville

  3. #3
    Neil
    Guest

    RE: how can i combine 2 columns in excel into 1 without losing data?

    Not much to go on here regarding cell contents and formatting, but I'm
    assuming that you have text in the cells and you just want to make on long
    text string. (If it was numerical data, you would of course just add them!)

    If we assume you have 'Neil' in cell A1, and 'Warwick' in cell B1, then to
    make cell C1 to be the addition of both strings enter the formula:

    =A1&B1

    This will give you NeilWarwick.

    to add a space try the following

    =A1&" "&B1

    If I have made the wrong assumption about your cells, then please post back
    with some more detailed information.

    HTH

    Neil
    www.nwarwick.co.uk

  4. #4
    sturville
    Guest

    RE: how can i combine 2 columns in excel into 1 without losing dat

    Thanks Neil, you are correct that I have text and not numbers that I need to
    combine. I know I can do it cell by cell, but I have about 2000 rows of text
    that I need to combine. Is there a formula I can use rather than going row
    by row?

  5. #5
    sturville
    Guest

    RE: how can i combine 2 columns in excel into 1 without losing dat

    Nevermind Neil...I just answered my own question. I can just drag the cell
    down the length of the rows and it works!!! THANK YOU! My co-workers really
    appreciate the time you have saved them.