Grouping entries in a catalog

  1. #1
    Helen McClaine
    Guest

    Grouping entries in a catalog

    I'm cataloging a billion pieces of paper. In some instances, I want separate
    entries for each piece of paper, but want to keep each entry together with
    those associated with a particular file. (I'm working with someone else's
    document, so can't make structural changes, but hoping there's a way to
    accomplish this anyway.)

    The columns with which I'm working are:
    Source | Document | Type | etc.

    What I have is a pendaflex file within which are five manilla folders. I'd
    like to do an entry for the Pendaflex as well as entries for each folder.
    Then I'd like to group these together so when a sort is done, the files will
    stay together.

    I'm not working in my office, so don't have access to my usual reference
    materials, so I'm turning to y'all in hopes of a quick response. Is this
    something I can accomplish with the Group function? (I've never used it, so
    not familiar with its capabilities and limitations.)

    If Group won't work, is there some other function that will be easy to apply
    and use. THere are unknown numbers of people who may be working with this
    document before we're through.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2

    Re: Grouping entries in a catalog

    First, I'm not sure I understand your question--so take this with a grain of
    salt.

    I've never found Data|Group to be particularly useful--especially if I have to
    group tons of rows manually.

    But I do like Data|Filter|Autofilter.

    It can be used instead of sorting the data. Just filter on the source column to
    show just the source you want.

    Then refine the filter by showing just the documents, and so forth.

    You may not have to do any sorting at all--just apply filtering in different
    ways.