Trouble With LINKS

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Trouble With LINKS

    Good Morning All,
    Using Excel 2002

    I have several workbooks in which all data in cells come from
    links of other workbooks which are all located in "My Documents". When I
    open both workbooks I get the message box about the workbook containing
    links to other data sources. When I click on to update the data the first
    workbook takes a few seconds to update all the data and opens up the
    workbook with all the data readable. However in the 2nd workbook, after
    several seconds, it opens but none of the data is displayed. All the cells
    have the #VALUE! error. This forces me to open up the source workbook(s) to
    display the data.
    I am trying to figure out why the first workbook opens with all
    the updated data (without the source workbook(s) opening) while the 2nd
    workbook does not update the data unless I open up the source workbook(s).
    I would like to update all information without having to open the source
    workbook(s). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Trouble With LINKS

    Hi

    It's not a very precise answer but it might give you a clue and send you off
    looking in the right direction!
    Certain functions (I believe INDIRECT is one) will not work on closed
    workbooks. The workbooks must be open for the function to operate. I'll see
    if I can find more details for you - but it's a start!
    Hope this helps!

    --
    Andy.

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Trouble With LINKS

    Thanks Andy for your help. In the workbook that displays the data I have
    two functions, =SUM and =AVERAGE. In the workbook that will not update they
    all contain =COUNTIF so mabye that is one of the functions that you have to
    have the workbook link open to see the data.
    Mike

  4. #4

    Re: Trouble With LINKS

    But there are equivalent formulas:

    this formula:
    =COUNTIF('C:\My Documents\excel\[Book1.xls]Sheet 3'!$A$1:$A$13,"asdf")
    breaks when I close book1.xls.

    But this formula will continue to work:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[Book1.xls]Sheet 3'!$A$1:$A$13="asdf"))

    (Except that you can't use the whole column with =sumproduct().)

  5. #5
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Trouble With LINKS

    Thanks Dave for your help. I changed the =countif to the =sumproduct
    formula but it doesn't seem to work. It doesn't give me the #VALUE! but it
    didn't calculate it corrrectly. I'm not sure what you mean by the whole
    column, like an A:A formula? I want it to count the number of occurences in
    $B$1:$B$30.
    Also what would I use if i wanted it to find occurences between two numbers,
    say 5 & 10. Would that still be a SUMPRODUCT formula?
    TIA,
    Mike
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Trouble With LINKS

    I got it to work!! To get it to count between 5 and 10 I used:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\Documents\excel\[Book1.xls]Sheet3'!$B$1:B$30>=5),--('C:\Documents\excel\[Book1.xls]Sheet3'!$B$1:B$30<=10))
    Thanks Dave for getting me on the right track.
    Mike

  7. #7

    Re: Trouble With LINKS

    If you post the formula you used, it would be easier to see.