Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

  1. #1
    Captain Infinity
    Guest

    Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

    I need to test the viability of upgrading our workstations from Office
    XP (2002) to Office 2003. It would be great if I could run both on the
    same machine and test the interoperability of documents and spreadsheets
    created by each version. My reseller tells me this is not possible,
    however.

    I'm not sure if I should believe him. I've been able to get my machine
    to do other tricks he has said were impossible. So I thought I'd ask
    you folks.

    Basically I'm asking if I can install and run both programs on one PC,
    running Windows XP Pro. Or will Office 2003 de-install or overwrite
    2002? I don't see a need to actually have both instances running at the
    same *time*, but it would be nice to run one, create a document, save
    it, close the application, and then open and test the document in the
    other program.

    Thanks for any help!

    **
    Captain Infinity

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

    Don't believe him, I have Virtual PC these days but before that I ran at
    least 3 office versions on the same OS, I installed them on different
    drives but shouldn't really matter if you customize the installation, I also
    installed in version order so I installed 97 first, then 2000 and finally
    2002. The only problems I encountered was that the help didn't work really
    satisfying for the earlier installed versions
    I never ran them at the same time though

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]
    Guest

    Re: Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

    I had Office 2000 and 2003 on my system and no problems. They have their own
    directories so they play well together.

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

  4. #4
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
    Guest

    Re: Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

    Except for Outlook, you can easily run multiple versions on the same system.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

    After furious head scratching, Captain Infinity asked:

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

    Hi Cap

    This is my private "collector" Pc. No virtual os, one user profile. It has
    fully Excel 5, Excel 95, Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel XP and Excel 2003.

    The trick is to install chronologically (oldest first), install each version
    in a separate folder and say NO to absolutely every "replace ?" and
    "overwrite ?" prompt that appear during the installs. Just say No.

    (But for the record: One will get trouble installing identical vintages, say
    Excel XP norwegian and Excel XP US american, onto the same system. That
    calls for partisioning and/or Virtual operating systems.)

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Captain Infinity" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Captain Infinity

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

    >Except for Outlook, you can easily run multiple versions on the same system.

    Great! So what should I do in regards Outlook? Not install the 2003
    version or install it over my current XP Outlook? Thanks for your help!

    **
    Captain Infinity

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?

    I would probably install it over the XP version since it got much bigger
    face lift than the other Office members together