Comparing Arrays

  1. #1
    TangentMemory
    Guest

    Comparing Arrays

    Is there a way to compare two arrays and output message if they are exactly
    the same, and output a different message if there is a difference in the
    array. I would like to be able to do this in one cell. I am able to compare
    all the cells individually, but would rather compare the arrays as a whole.

    For example:

    Tab 1
    Column A Column B Column C
    ----------- ----------- -----------
    George 15 10/6/04

    Tab 2
    Column A Column B Column C
    ----------- ----------- -----------
    George 15 10/6/04

    Is there a formula that I can use to say examine these two arrays and say
    "Correct" because they are exactly the same?

    Tab 1
    Column A Column B Column C
    ----------- ----------- -----------
    George 15 10/6/04

    Tab 2
    Column A Column B Column C
    ----------- ----------- -----------
    George 46 10/6/04

    In this example, Column B on Tab 2 does not match Column B on Tab 1. This
    would result in the two formulas not being equal. How can a formula in one
    cell show that?

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Comparing Arrays

    =IF(tab1!A1&tab1!B1&tab1!C1=tab2!A1&tab2!B1&tab2!C1,"","in")&"correct"

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Comparing Arrays

    If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
    http:/home.pacbell.net/beban are available to your workbook, then either
    of the following will return True or False:

    =RowsEqual(Sheet4!A1:C1,Sheet5!A1:C1)

    =ColumnsEqual(Sheet4!A1:C1,Sheet5!A1:C1)

    Alan Beban