Finding First and Last Worksheet Names

  1. #1

    Finding First and Last Worksheet Names

    I currently have a workbook of around 25 worksheets, with 1 summary
    worksheet. The 25 worksheets are of identical format but have
    different names (sorted alphabetically).

    On the summary page I have used functions such as SUM(BBB:YYY!$B$1) to
    get total values. However I am currently adding 3-4 extra worksheets a
    month and I would like these to be automatically calculated in the
    formula (i.e. if I add sheet AAA or ZZZ, I will have to manually adjust
    the formula).

    Is there a formula that shows the name of the first and last worksheets
    so that I can add an INDIRECT command to my formula and have it
    automatically update whenever I add a sheet? Or is there another way
    of approaching this? Ideally I'd like to avoid using a macro as this
    will be sent out to dozens of people, many of whom probably have their
    security settings on high.

    Thanks,
    BH

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Finding First and Last Worksheet Names

    Hi
    You could put a sheet at the end of your book, called Last (or something)
    and use
    =SUM(BBB:Last!$B$1)
    You can also hide the Last sheet, if you like, so it doesn't confuse your
    users.

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: Finding First and Last Worksheet Names

    Why don't you add dummy empty worksheets at the beginning and between the
    last sheet to be summarised and the summary sheet of your workbook, and
    reference these in your SUM formulae. As long as you don't add new worksheets
    before the first dummy or after the last one, you should be fine.

    Not the neatest, but, if you don't want code, it should work, providing your
    users are told not to add new sheets before the first dummy or after the last
    one.

    Have a good weekend

    Pete

  4. #4
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Finding First and Last Worksheet Names

    The trick is to insert 2 dummy sheets, one in the beginning and one at the
    end. Name them "beg" and "end" and hide both sheets. Now use:

    =SUM(beg:end!$B$1)

    Any sheets you insert, regardless of name and location, will be included in
    the formula.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  5. #5
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: Finding First and Last Worksheet Names

    I thought about hiding them, but if you do, there's still always the chance
    that you'll insert a new sheet between your summary sheet and your end dummy.
    Better to leave them visible and tell people not to add sheets before/after
    the first/last one.

    Pete