Document email attachment problem - please help!

  1. #1
    Scott McDonald
    Guest

    Document email attachment problem - please help!

    I have a few users who have a problem with sending emails from within word,
    excel etc. If they are in the document in question and click the email
    button, add the "to" address then click send it just sits there, nothing
    happens, they exit out of the document and select save when prompted,
    a copy of the email/document ends up in their inbox and the email was never
    sent.

    Anyone know why?

    Thanks!

    Scott

  2. #2
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    "Sending" an email just sends it to the Outbox. Unless you have your mail
    client configured to send messages immediately (which I consider an
    invitation to disaster), the message won't actually be sent until you Send
    from the mail client.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Scott McDonald
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    I know that and I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.
    These users can open up word, type some sentences, click the "email" icon in
    word type in an address to send the email to, then click "send a copy" and
    nothing happens; nothing. It acts like you didn't even click send a copy.
    They give up, click the X to exit out, it asks if they want to save changes
    they click yes/no (whatever, doesn't seem to matter) and then the email
    appears new, unsent in their inbox, it's not in sent, outbox or in drafts,
    just in their inbox.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    This does seem very bizarre. I've seen similar reports before, but I can't
    find anything in the MSKB that addresses it.

  5. #5
    Scott McDonald
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    suggestions?

  6. #6
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    If I had any, I would have offered them. I can't believe that in the six
    other NGs you're posting to there isn't someone who has some ideas.

  7. #7
    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    A couple of suggestions. First, make sure Outlook is the default email
    client. To do that open IE's properties (Tools, Internet Options) and look
    in the Programs tab.

    Second, if that's set the poster can try first running the fixmapi.exe
    utility and if that doesn't help they can try the Office repair from either
    Help, Detect and Repair or the repair function in Add/Remove Programs in the
    Control Panel.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

  8. #8
    Scott McDonald
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    tell me about it :-) I posted to one a few times before, never got a
    response so though I know it's not appreciated to post in a bunch, I thought
    that was the only thing left, at least this time there's been a response so
    I guess it worked :-)

  9. #9
    Scott McDonald
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    I tried this on two machines that were having this issue and it didn't do
    anyting...

    If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate it.

    Thanks!

    Scott

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Diane Poremsky [MVP]
    Guest

    Re: Document email attachment problem - please help!

    Does the document send if you use the keyboard shortcut (Alt+S) to send? If
    so, it's a bug that affects just a few people - so few that MS can't track
    down the cause. It's apparently related to one of the programs installed on
    the computer - I've experienced it on some of my installs.

    Saving to the inbox is normal behavior when you save a draft created from
    another program. The users can open it and click send to send it.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

  11. #11
    aek