Show comma in data validation list?

  1. #1

    Show comma in data validation list?

    Would someone please help. Thanks.

    I want the following 3 items in a data validation list. Note they have
    commas in the items.

    Apple, Kiwi, and Orange
    Strawberry, Mango, and Banana
    Pineapple, Banana, and Orange

    I can't get data validation to display the comma in the item because it
    takes the comma as a seperator for a new item. So typing the above show
    the following list:

    Apple
    Kiwi
    and Orange
    Strawberry
    Mango
    and Banana
    Pineapple
    Banana
    and Orange

    I have to be able to type these items directly into the DV list, not
    into cells where DV uses a cell reference.

    Can this be done?

    Thanks again.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    In the Data Validation dialog box, for the commas that you want to
    appear in the item, hold the Alt key, and on the number keypad, type: 0130

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Gregg
    Guest

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    Perfect. Thanks a lot, Debra!

  4. #4

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    You are a cheater <vbg>.

    That's not really a comma.

    And if the user always chooses the value using the dropdown, then this won't
    matter. But if the user types in a valid entry, the user will have to type in
    that alt-0130 instead of a comma.

    Or if there's a formula that refers to that cell, it can't use the real comma.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    I prefer the term "creative" <g>.

    But you're right about the other stuff -- if no formulas are based on
    the cell contents, the error alert could be turned off, and the values
    could be typed with a real comma.

    Or, programming could convert the fake commas to real commas.

  6. #6
    Gregg
    Guest

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    Yup, I found that out a bit ago. ;-)

    We use the commas as delimiters in a search routine. So, I'll either
    extend the code to include the alternative comma as delimiters or write
    an event that changes the alt-commas to true commas.

    Thanks to both of you for your help.

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    In your first post, you said you had to use a delimited list, but could
    you use a named list on a hidden worksheet? Then, you could include the
    commas, and not have to worry about programming.

  8. #8
    Gregg
    Guest

    Re: Show comma in data validation list?

    Yeah, I thought about that early on, but I wanted to avoid using
    another area.

    My simplest solution so far is to abandon commas alltogether and us "/"
    instead. So and item would look like this...

    Apple / Orange / Pear

    Luckily none of my items include that delimiter. I can then use that
    character easily in search and count routines and the user can easily
    edit the DV list directly in the dialog box.