Using SUMIF on common words

  1. #1
    Dodge
    Guest

    Using SUMIF on common words

    I would like to use the SUMIF function to add up cells containing common
    words, but not necessarily the same word, i.e.

    Cell1 contains party123 value 100
    Cell2 contains party 456 value 50
    Cell3 contains poser 122 value 100
    Cell4 conatins partypooper value 100

    Therefore total cells containing "party" = cell 1+cell 2 +cell 4 = 250

    Is it possible to do this?

  2. #2

    Re: Using SUMIF on common words

    Is your data laid out nicely in columns (like descriptions in A1:A10 and values
    in B1:B10)?

    If yes:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("party",A1:A10,1)),B1:B10)

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Using SUMIF on common words

    Try this ARRAY formula which must be entered/edited using ctrl+shift+enter

    =SUM(IF(ISERR(FIND("party",A3:A6)),"",VALUE(TRIM(RIGHT(A3:A6,LEN(A3:A6)-FIND
    ("value",A3:A6)-4)))))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software