File too large for Excel?

  1. #1
    Bart Snel
    Guest

    File too large for Excel?

    I'm a fairly experienced Excel-user but I've been pondering this problem for
    days now so I hope anyone out there can help me. I'm from Holland so forgive
    me for my English.

    I work at the headquarters of a company that owns over 20 bookstores. Every
    week I receive a large CSV-file with the weekly revenues(?). First thing I
    do is to organize these into 10 productgroups, so my "Source-file" looks
    like this:
    Column A: Storename
    Column B: Productgroup
    Column C: Year
    Column D: Weeknumber
    Column E: Amount

    In the weekly reports I make for the management, they want to see the weekly
    revenues, compared with those of last year. No problem there; I've made a
    pivot-table and graphs which do the job.

    Here comes the problem:
    Management has determined the budgets for this year for every store and
    every productgroup. They also want to see in my reports the comparison
    between the real revenue and the one budgetted. The weekly budget for this
    year is calculated as follows:

    For instanstance: the weekly budget for Store 1, Productgroup1, week 1 2005
    is
    (Week 1 2004 / Total 2004) * Budget 2005

    It all seems very easy and in smaller files I've solved this problem with
    Vertical Sum and VLOOKUP but when I try this on the real data, Excel keeps
    getting stuck. I have over 200 rows a week, starting in 2003 and I guess
    that's just too much to handle for my processor.

    Does any know a "smarter" way to handle this?
    Any help is much appreciated!

    Bart Snel

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    I'm not sure what software you have but if you are trying to hold so much data you may want to consider converting to a database using microsoft access or something similar.

  3. #3

    Re: File too large for Excel?

    You have some responses to your post in .excel.