Search a cell based on format

  1. #1
    Al
    Guest

    Search a cell based on format

    What is the formula (if statement?) to select a cell based on format. For
    example, if the cell is "bold" then I want the contents of that cell.
    Otherwise, blank.

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Search a cell based on format

    That is impossible with built-in formulas, sorry. You'd have to code
    something in VBA.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Al" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Search a cell based on format

    There is no such function built in, Harlan Grove has written extcell which
    has that built in (among many other things), it can be downloaded here

    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/ExtCell.zip

    Then when you have imported it into the VBE you can make it an add-in and
    always available

    There are probably other add-ins with this functionality to be found online

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Search a cell based on format

    Forgot some info, once you have imported it (from a new workbook press Alt +
    F11, click file>import and import it), then save as *.xla, then go to
    tools>add-ins and check it. Finally to use it

    =EXTCELL("bold",A1)

    will return 1 if cell is formatted bold, so with regards to your specifics

    =IF(EXTCELL("bold",A1)=1,A1,"")

    there are a lot of other functions built in as well, there is no help file
    so you need to open the bas file in notepad for instance and print it since
    each function has it's own description

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Search a cell based on format

    You could use old XLM.

    1. Define a name (Ctrl+F3) as:

    =GET.CELL(20,INDIRECT("rc[-1]",0))

    and name it "isbold" (no quotes).

    2. Place this formula to the immediate right of the cell you are evaluating.
    For example, if you are evaluating A1, place this in B1:

    =IF(isbold,A1,"")

    Note that making cells bold/non-bold won't recalculate the formula. You must
    do a recalc on the worksheet.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA