Exotic Bets Spreadsheet - Need Help!

  1. #1
    Kevin
    Guest

    Exotic Bets Spreadsheet - Need Help!

    Hi, I want to load the 14 horses in the Preakness into Excel. And then
    have excel kick out all possible combinations for 1-2-3 place and
    1-2-3-4. I can't seem to find an easy way to do this that is not
    manual. Please advise - thanks! Here is the list:

    1 Malibu Moonshine
    2 High Fly
    3 Noble Causeway
    4 Greeley's Galaxy
    5 Scrappy T
    6 Hal's Image
    7 Closing Argument
    8 Galloping Grocer
    9 Wilko
    10 Sun King
    11 High Limit
    12 Afleet Alex
    13 Giacomo
    14 Going Wild

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Exotic Bets Spreadsheet - Need Help!

    The macro below give you all possible 1-2-3 combinations (2184 in all)
    starting in D1. Assuming horse names are in A1:A14:

    Sub Combos()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = ActiveSheet
    Set rng = ActiveSheet.[A1:A14]
    n = 0
    For i = 1 To 14
    For j = 1 To 14
    For k = 1 To 14
    If i <> j And j <> k And i <> k Then
    n = n + 1
    ws.Cells(n, "D") = "1) " & rng(i) & _
    " 2) " & rng(j) & _
    " 3) " & rng(k)
    End If
    Next k: Next j: Next i
    End Sub

    ---
    Based on a piece of code from Tom Ogilvy for creating combos.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Exotic Bets Spreadsheet - Need Help!

    copy the names into columns A,B,C
    copy A1:C14
    and paste into A1:C196 (14 squared)
    sort column B only
    copy A1:C196
    paste into A1:C2744 (14 cubed)
    Sort Column A only
    Copy A1:C2744 and paste on Sheet 2 (Will use this to generate the first
    four places)
    goback to sheet 1
    in D1 enter
    =if(or(A1=B1,A1=C1,B1=C1),1,0)
    Copy D1 and paste to D1:D2744
    Use filter or sort to gather all of the Column D "1" values together and
    delete these rows.
    Sheet one now has all of the 1,2,3 possibilities
    go to sheet 2.
    Copy C1:C2744 and paste to D1:D2744
    copy A1:D2744 and paste to A1:D38416
    Sort Column C only
    in E1 enter
    =if(or(A1=B1,A1=C1,A1=D1,B1=C1,B1=D1,C1=D1),1,0)
    cand copy down to E38416
    Again sort, or filter, to gather all of the "1"s together and delete these
    rows