Updating Excel spreadsheets over the Internet?

  1. #1
    Dan Merkel
    Guest

    Updating Excel spreadsheets over the Internet?

    We have a client who has several satellite locations. Each day, each of
    these locations enters data into a spreadsheet then emails that sheet to the
    home office. The home office then must review each sheet to generate totals
    for the previous day's business.

    Is there a feature in Excel that would allow us to make the spreadsheets
    available to each satellite online, then from their daily input, create a
    "master file/spreadsheet" that summarizes dialy business activities for the
    entire operation?

    We would like to have each satellite be restricted to their own information;
    the client doesn't really want them to have access to the other offices'
    data.

    Thanks.

    dlm
    ---------------------------
    Dan Merkel

  2. #2
    PC
    Guest

    Re: Updating Excel spreadsheets over the Internet?

    Sounds a bit archaic

    I would recommend

    A web based database (SQL or mySQL) that stores data by department.
    (Directory access can be limited on the server side with reasonable
    security.)

    A few simple PHP pages that enable the satellite locations to load and
    download their data from the database (again server side security controls
    access to members of the organization and by location)

    An Excel Template that facilitates entry and upload of the daily activity
    (the latter accomplished with VBA that creates CSV file and loads file
    directly to database via PHP/Web form) and download/view of historical
    activity (again using XL get external data from Web controlled with VBA)

    HTH

    PC

    Why not create a simple vb application that will export the

    news:[email protected]...