How to protect a shared excel document from deletion

  1. #1
    SteveA
    Guest

    How to protect a shared excel document from deletion

    we have an excel sheet that the shop floor updates during the day, however,
    we have some problems with it being deleted by accident. Is there a way that
    we can let all the users update the shared sheet, but not allow them the
    option of deletein g the whole sheet!! We know that it is not done on
    purpose, but sometimes the fingers walk without the brain knowing what is
    going on, or the other way around.

    Thanks

    SteveA

  2. #2

    Re: How to protect a shared excel document from deletion

    I don't think so.

    Keep good backups!

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveA
    we have an excel sheet that the shop floor updates during the day, however,
    we have some problems with it being deleted by accident. Is there a way that
    we can let all the users update the shared sheet, but not allow them the
    option of deletein g the whole sheet!! We know that it is not done on
    purpose, but sometimes the fingers walk without the brain knowing what is
    going on, or the other way around.

    Thanks

    SteveA
    Steve,
    This won't stop the deletion problem, but you will always have a backup copy.
    With the file open go to:
    file/save as/tools/general options/always create backup
    Put a tic at "always create backup" and click ok.
    When ever you save the file, a copy will also be automatically created,
    if your original is deleted, at least you have one from the last save.
    Thx
    Dave