breaking text in one cell into two cells

  1. #1
    Polina
    Guest

    breaking text in one cell into two cells

    I have a column with thousands of rows that has in every cell a cost center
    number and the name of the cost center. I need to break the cost center
    number and the name of the cost center into two different cells because I
    need to run a vlookup for just the cost center number.

    Thanks very much for any help.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: breaking text in one cell into two cells

    Make sure the column to the right is empty and do data>text to columns and
    select whatever delimiter that's in the cell, maybe a space or a comma and
    click finish

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Polina
    Guest

    RE: breaking text in one cell into two cells

    Thanks very much for the quick response but I am still a little confused.
    If each cell is like this : 00000 - name of cost center, I go to the column
    of cells to the right that are empty and type what?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: breaking text in one cell into two cells

    No, you select the column you want to parse, then click on data>text to
    columns (in the menu), click delimited and click next, if you have a hyphen
    then check other and put a hyphen there, then click finish

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom