How can I secure a file from unauthorized access?

  1. #1
    Mark
    Guest

    How can I secure a file from unauthorized access?

    A friend of mine has an excel workbook whose contents are sensetive and
    confidential (just business intel, nothing risque). He wants me to show him
    how to provide 'password protection" for the file. Other than using a 3rd
    party tool (PGP?),
    it there a standard windows facility for limiting access to a file on one's
    own machine? I'm assuming he's worried about
    a. someone stealing his laptop
    b. someone making an unauthorized copy of his file (Industrial espionage?)
    c. someone at work being able to access the file via the intranet.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: How can I secure a file from unauthorized access?

    "Mark" wrote:

    > A friend of mine has an excel workbook whose contents are sensetive and
    > confidential (just business intel, nothing risque). He wants me to show him
    > how to provide 'password protection" for the file. Other than using a 3rd
    > party tool (PGP?),
    > it there a standard windows facility for limiting access to a file on one's
    > own machine? I'm assuming he's worried about
    > a. someone stealing his laptop
    > b. someone making an unauthorized copy of his file (Industrial espionage?)
    > c. someone at work being able to access the file via the intranet.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I guess there are several options here. First, you can save the file with
    password protection (File>Save As>Tools>General Options) Second, create a
    ZIP file and use password protection. Third, remove the file from the laptop
    by writing to floppy disk or CD-ROM