Symbols & font

  1. #1
    JB
    Guest

    Symbols & font

    I inherited a worksheet that uses diamond & triangle symbols. These symbols
    display in the cell AND formula bar as a diamond or triangle in Arial font
    and both have code 63. I'd like to add a star (Wingdings 171), but my star
    displays in the cell as a star, but as << in the formula bar. How can I get
    the star to have the same properties as the diamond & triangle--that is
    display as the star symbol in arial font?

  2. #2

    Re: Symbols & font

    Unless you change it, the font for the formula bar is Arial. So no matter what
    the cell looks like on the worksheet, it'll appear as Arial in the formula bar.

    And you got lucky that you were using Arial for both the triangle and the
    diamond.

    If you really want to see the star, then you could change that option to show
    Wingdings in the formula bar (don't do it--you won't be able to read anything!)

    Tools|Options|General Tab|Standard Font
    (Restart excel--you'll be prompted)

    If you do play with this, make a note of your original settings so you can
    change them back easily!

  3. #3
    JB
    Guest

    Re: Symbols & font

    The confusing thing is, in the Arial character map the diamond and triangle
    do not exist. The Arial code for these two shapes (using =code(cell ref)) is
    63 and it shows in the Arial map as a square without fill. Am I missing
    something?

  4. #4

    Re: Symbols & font

    =code(cellref) returns the first character in the cell.

    Chip Pearson has a nice addin that can help you determine each character in a
    cell:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    For me, I put =char(63) in a cell formatted as Arial and saw a question mark.

    And are you using that unicode character set? (I don't know anything about
    that.) Maybe someone who does will be able to help when you post back.

  5. #5
    JB
    Guest

    Re: Symbols & font

    Dave,

    Cellref was my attempt at a generic cell name, like A1. I agree with you
    that using character code 63 in Arial font does not produce a diamond or
    triangle. The diamond looks like Terminal font and the triangle like
    Wingdings 3 or Terminal. Unfortunately, neither of these fonts also includes
    a star. It seems like these characters are somehow storing the font within
    the character; as if maintaining properties as I cut and paste. If this is
    happening, I would love to know how, to use in this workbook as well as
    others I have.

    Thanks so much Dave for your response. I appreciate all the help you
    provide to me and others (as I search past posts).

    Regards,
    JB

  6. #6

    Re: Symbols & font

    Maybe it's a mixture of fonts.

    If you highlight just that single character in the formulabar, what does the
    Font box show?

    The font box seems to pick up its value from the font of first character in the
    string.

  7. #7

    Re: Symbols & font

    And I bet if you really change the whole cell's font to Arial then your symbols
    disappear.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    I have the Diamond and the triangle ∆ ◊ in my Character map for Arial font in XPHome.
    Thx
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by JB

  9. #9

    Re: Symbols & font

    Those look like Unicode characters to me.

    In fact, I could do this to put them in a cell:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme1()
    Dim myCell As Range
    Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("a1")