Tracking Hours and Minutes

  1. #1
    Jay
    Guest

    Tracking Hours and Minutes

    I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
    week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.

    I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
    Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
    -for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
    length of time.

    Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
    minutes over a week?

    Thanks,

    Jay

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Tracking Hours and Minutes

    Format as time with a custom format:
    [hh]:mm
    the square brackets will keep hours from overflowing into days.
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    HR Pro
    Guest

    RE: Tracking Hours and Minutes

    Jay,

    I do this. I wish I could just upload my document right here for you to use.
    I just use number format with two decimals. Then I round min. to the nearest
    1/4...

    1.25
    1.5
    1.75

    The next step is to use miltary time instead of standard time.

    My worksheet subtracts my end time from my start time and tallies up the
    entire week - no problem.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Tracking Hours and Minutes

    I also believe the OP needs to be entering times as times Excel can interpret
    as times, he seems to be using decimals and he either has to convert them
    through a formula or use an event macro that replaces the period with a
    semicolon

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Tracking Hours and Minutes

    I hadn't noticed that, and now he added something else like maybe
    he want to enter differently and I'm not sure what.

    To enter as hours and decimal fraction hours one can enter as
    hours then divide by 24 so that has fractional days for an Excel time.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
    http://www.cpearson.com/exce./datetime.htm

    If on the other hand, military time was mentioned which I take to be
    four digits then Chip Pearson has a page for entry of Military Time
    Times, Quick Entry http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm
    As if typing a colon take too much time.