URGENT!!! shared workbook prob

  1. #1
    A.G.M ash
    Guest

    URGENT!!! shared workbook prob

    I have set up a custom form in excel for users to select or type data into
    that then sends the information to a new sheet in a list format at button
    click e.g

    Email only recontact size Budget
    yes no 100 5000
    no yes 200 6000 #1

    I then made it a shared workbook with the necessary ranges unprotected. but
    say for instance i am adding new data into the form thus creating a new
    record it places it underneath the previous record, but if my partner is also
    adding new records in the shared workbook at the same time abviously some of
    his cells and my cells conflict so when saved you have to change the previous
    persons work thus loosing the records the other user made. is there a macro
    or an option or somthing to say when saved if data in cells in range #1
    (example)do not change make saved entry go to unused cells underneath the
    last record, and i dont want to have to start again because i have several
    complex cost, losses and estimate calculations running off that data being
    stored their to be able to remember wich i need to change. Can you help

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: URGENT!!! shared workbook prob

    A.G.,

    Keep in mind that with a shared workbook, each user has a copy of the
    workbook the way it was when it was opened. It isn't really multiuser.
    Perhaps you should have your macro put the data in a separate workbook,
    which it opens, appends, then closes. Then the other one can do the same.
    Just use the original workbook as a front end. You'll get an error if a
    second user's macro tries to open it while the first one has it, but the
    code can try again later, or whatever.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    A.G.M ash
    Guest

    thanks other questions

    earl
    I started thinkin that afta i posted the question, which creates a couple
    more could i do that using a web page form if so how? it doesnt run the
    macros or show the command buttons if done in excel then saved as a .html or
    ..mht becuase if it did i wouldnt be in this sittuation cos then i could
    upload it and it would be updated instanly! something for microsoft to think
    about,

    also does it HAVE to open then append then save and close?

    DO YOU KNOW WHAT I WOULD NEED TO ADD TO THIS CODE TO SEND IT TO THE WORKBOOK

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim LastRow As Object

    Set LastRow = Sheet2.Range("a65536").End(xlUp)

    LastRow.Offset(1, 0).Value = ComboBox1.Text
    LastRow.Offset(1, 1).Value = ComboBox2.Text
    LastRow.Offset(1, 2).Value = TextBox1.Text
    LastRow.Offset(1, 3).Value = TextBox2.Text

    MsgBox "stored"

    End Sub

    any comments will help enormously

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: thanks other questions

    A.G.,

    If you have Access, why not use it? It's already multiuser. You don't have
    to write any code, just make a table and a form. Or if you don't want
    frills, skip the form and just enter directly into the table, . Multiple
    users can open the Access database file. You can't use a table that's a
    linked Excel sheet if more than one Access user will have the file open, but
    you can easily link from Excel (to the table in the Access database file).
    It's Data - Import external data - Import data.