Jump Thursdays in a month

  1. #1
    pankaj_zen
    Guest

    Jump Thursdays in a month

    Hi all,
    i have a unique problem.
    here we have thursdays as week ends ( sat & sundays are working days).
    Now what i want to do is in anexcel sheet if i enter say for example
    enter 24 may which is tuesday in any of the cells & digit 5 in another
    cell, when i add these two i should get 30 may i.e it should jump
    thursday my weekly off.
    the number can be any thing from1 to 70.

    Can any one please help me in this regard?

    --
    pankaj_zen
    pankaj_zen's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=42

  2. #2
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    Save this function in a standard module:

    Function myWorkDay(myDate As Date, AddDays, LeaveDay)

    If AddDays = 0 Then
    myWorkDay = myDate
    Exit Function
    End If

    Select Case LeaveDay
    Case "Sunday"
    LD = 1
    Case "Monday"
    LD = 2
    Case "Tuesday"
    LD = 3
    Case "Wednesday"
    LD = 4
    Case "Thursday"
    LD = 5
    Case "Friday"
    LD = 6
    Case "Saturday"
    LD = 7
    End Select

    i = 1
    Do While i <= AddDays
    myWorkDay = myDate + i
    If WorksheetFunction.Weekday(myWorkDay) = LD Then
    AddDays = AddDays + 1
    End If
    i = i + 1
    Loop

    End Function

    And use it as follows:
    =myWorkDay(A1,B1,"Thursday")

    where A1 has your start date, and B1 has the number of days you want to add.

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    =A1+A2+SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1+A2)))=5))

    where A1 is the date, A2 is the addition

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    Hi Bob,

    Today + 12 gives Thurday the 9th of June, instead of the next day.

    Mangesh

    news:#[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:26:36 +0530, pankaj_zen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >i have a unique problem.
    >here we have thursdays as week ends ( sat & sundays are working days).
    >Now what i want to do is in anexcel sheet if i enter say for example
    >enter 24 may which is tuesday in any of the cells & digit 5 in another
    >cell, when i add these two i should get 30 may i.e it should jump
    >thursday my weekly off.
    >the number can be any thing from1 to 70.
    >
    >Can any one please help me in this regard?

    Here is a UDF that, with the correct arguments, will treat Thursday as your
    weekend.

    To enter it, <alt><F11> opens the VB Editor. Ensure your project is
    highlighted in the project explorer window, then Insert/Module and paste the
    below code into the window that opens.

    To use it, enter the formula in the form of:

    =Wrkday(A1, A2,,5)

    Where A1 contains the date and A2 contains the number of days to add.
    The blank ( ,, ) is an optional list of holidays which can be another range.
    '5' represents Thursday as you can see from the comments in the udf.

    ====================================
    Function WrkDay(StartDate As Date, ByVal NumDays As Long, _
    Optional Holidays As Range = Nothing, _
    Optional WeekendDay_1 As Integer = 0, _
    Optional WeekendDay_2 As Integer = 0, _
    Optional WeekendDay_3 As Integer = 0) As Date

    ' Sunday = 1; Monday = 2; ... Saturday = 7

    Dim i As Long
    Dim TempDate As Date
    Dim Stp As Integer
    Dim NonWrkDays As Long
    Dim Temp As Long, SD As Date, ED As Date

    Stp = Sgn(NumDays)

    'Add NumDays
    TempDate = StartDate + NumDays

    'Add Non-Workdays

    Do While Abs(NumDays) <> Temp
    SD = Application.WorksheetFunction.Min(StartDate + Stp, TempDate)
    ED = Application.WorksheetFunction.Max(StartDate + Stp, TempDate)

    Temp = NWrkDays(SD, ED, Holidays, WeekendDay_1, WeekendDay_2, WeekendDay_3)
    TempDate = TempDate + NumDays - Stp * (Temp)
    Loop

    WrkDay = TempDate
    End Function
    ====================================

    --ron

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    Hi Mangesh,

    Thanks for the catch. Simplest solution is

    =A1+A2+SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1+A2)))=5))+(--WEEKDAY(A1+
    A2+SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1+A2)))=5)))=5)

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    TomHinkle
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    This is going to sound neandrolithic (is that a word), BUT in a production
    environment it works.

    Make a tab listing of all workdays, in sequential order.. It may take you 30
    -60 minutes to get a years worth of dates in the list and then to delete
    appropriate 'weekends' and holidays.

    Then when you do your function, use your custom list of working days. It
    will start on your given workday, and simply count down the number of working
    days you give it.

    Basic and simple. We've implemented the same method on a database because
    no one application's holiday calendar fit our needs..

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:29:48 +0100, "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi Mangesh,
    >
    >Thanks for the catch. Simplest solution is
    >
    >=A1+A2+SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1+A2)))=5))+(--WEEKDAY(A1+
    >A2+SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A1+A2)))=5)))=5)
    >
    >Bob

    Bob,

    Your formula also seems to depend on the starting date NOT being on Thursday.

    May 26, 2005 + 1 : should be May 27, 2005. Your formula gives May 28

    --ron

  9. #9
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:40:28 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:26:36 +0530, pankaj_zen
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>i have a unique problem.
    >>here we have thursdays as week ends ( sat & sundays are working days).
    >>Now what i want to do is in anexcel sheet if i enter say for example
    >>enter 24 may which is tuesday in any of the cells & digit 5 in another
    >>cell, when i add these two i should get 30 may i.e it should jump
    >>thursday my weekly off.
    >>the number can be any thing from1 to 70.
    >>
    >>Can any one please help me in this regard?

    >Here is a UDF that, with the correct arguments, will treat Thursday as your
    >weekend.
    >
    >To enter it, <alt><F11> opens the VB Editor. Ensure your project is
    >highlighted in the project explorer window, then Insert/Module and paste the
    >below code into the window that opens.
    >
    >To use it, enter the formula in the form of:
    >
    > =Wrkday(A1, A2,,5)
    >
    >Where A1 contains the date and A2 contains the number of days to add.
    >The blank ( ,, ) is an optional list of holidays which can be another range.
    >'5' represents Thursday as you can see from the comments in the udf.
    >
    >====================================
    >Function WrkDay(StartDate As Date, ByVal NumDays As Long, _
    > Optional Holidays As Range = Nothing, _
    > Optional WeekendDay_1 As Integer = 0, _
    > Optional WeekendDay_2 As Integer = 0, _
    > Optional WeekendDay_3 As Integer = 0) As Date
    >
    >' Sunday = 1; Monday = 2; ... Saturday = 7
    >
    > Dim i As Long
    > Dim TempDate As Date
    > Dim Stp As Integer
    > Dim NonWrkDays As Long
    > Dim Temp As Long, SD As Date, ED As Date
    >
    > Stp = Sgn(NumDays)
    >
    > 'Add NumDays
    > TempDate = StartDate + NumDays
    >
    > 'Add Non-Workdays
    >
    > Do While Abs(NumDays) <> Temp
    > SD = Application.WorksheetFunction.Min(StartDate + Stp, TempDate)
    > ED = Application.WorksheetFunction.Max(StartDate + Stp, TempDate)
    >
    > Temp = NWrkDays(SD, ED, Holidays, WeekendDay_1, WeekendDay_2, WeekendDay_3)
    > TempDate = TempDate + NumDays - Stp * (Temp)
    > Loop
    >
    > WrkDay = TempDate
    >End Function
    >====================================
    >

    >--ron

    Oops, I forgot part of the UDF. You need to paste in the following:

    ====================
    Function NWrkDays(StartDate As Date, EndDate As Date, _
    Optional Holidays As Range = Nothing, _
    Optional WeekendDay_1 As Integer = 0, _
    Optional WeekendDay_2 As Integer = 0, _
    Optional WeekendDay_3 As Integer = 0) As Long
    ' Sunday = 1; Monday = 2; ... Saturday = 7

    'credits to Myrna

    Dim i As Long
    Dim Count As Long
    Dim H As Variant
    Dim w As Long
    Dim SD As Date, ED As Date
    Dim DoHolidays As Boolean
    Dim NegCount As Boolean

    DoHolidays = Not (Holidays Is Nothing)

    SD = StartDate: ED = EndDate
    If SD > ED Then
    SD = EndDate: ED = StartDate
    NegCount = True
    End If

    w = Weekday(SD - 1)
    For i = SD To ED
    Count = Count + 1
    w = (w Mod 7) + 1
    Select Case w
    Case WeekendDay_1, WeekendDay_2, WeekendDay_3
    Count = Count - 1
    Case Else
    If DoHolidays Then
    If IsNumeric(Application.Match(i, Holidays, 0)) Then _
    Count = Count - 1
    End If
    End Select
    Next i
    If NegCount = True Then Count = -Count
    NWrkDays = Count
    End Function

[...]

    ===================================

    --ron

  10. #10
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    Hi Bob,

    There still is a problem, now at 18 days and then 24, 25.
    The problem is that, as you push forward, there is an accumulation further
    down which the TO part (in the from:to range)
    cannot handle.

    Mangesh

  11. #11
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Jump Thursdays in a month

    Hi Bob,

    This is from one of the links given by Tom.

    =$A$1+IF(B1=0,0,SIGN(B1)*SMALL(IF((WEEKDAY($A$1+SIGN(B1)*(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&
    ABS(B1)*10))),2)<>4)*ISNA(MATCH($A$1+SIGN(B1)*(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ABS(B1)*10)
    )),0,0)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ABS(B1)*10))),ABS(B1)))

    .....array formula

    A1 is date
    B1 is nos of days

    Source: http://excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=376705